Trimming A Fiberglass/steel Door? - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-03-2008, 02:43 PM   #1
Enormous Member

Rewards Points: 75

Trimming a fiberglass/steel door?

I need to replace the side door to my garage since the previous one is damaged... well destroyed, really.

Anyway... my problem is, my garage is pretty short so the rough opening is only around 77.25" tall.

The warehouse home improvement stores only sell standard 80" doors and I'm sure getting a custom door made is pricey... and seems a little much for a garage service door.

So... here are my questions:

Does anyone have an opinion how I can get a door to fit in this space?

Are fiberglass/steel doors trimmable?

Should I just invest in a solid, trimmable interior door and paint/seal it to withstand the elements?

Advertisement

skipjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 08:50 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

as for a special order door, yes price goes way up, at least it did when I needed to replace one of ours. All doors can be shortened, the key is doing it so it doesn't look like it was. You only have so much "meat" on the bottom of the door that you can cut off. I shortened an exterior door by pulling out the bottom insert out, cutting some off and putting insert back in. It was a metal door. You look to be cutting around 3" off, that might be a bit much. The support is in the edges, cut too much, door will be flexible. Also if the door has panels, you can only cut so much. And the blade on the saw makes a big difference, that and making sure its a straight cut.

Advertisement

DUDE! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 11:23 AM   #3
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUDE! View Post
as for a special order door, yes price goes way up, at least it did when I needed to replace one of ours. All doors can be shortened, the key is doing it so it doesn't look like it was. You only have so much "meat" on the bottom of the door that you can cut off. I shortened an exterior door by pulling out the bottom insert out, cutting some off and putting insert back in. It was a metal door. You look to be cutting around 3" off, that might be a bit much. The support is in the edges, cut too much, door will be flexible. Also if the door has panels, you can only cut so much. And the blade on the saw makes a big difference, that and making sure its a straight cut.
I cant see the door costing more then 200.00 more then standard, go back to your box store and ask the salesman what a door would cost to cut down. they have the prices in there book of all the options the door manufacture will charge for that particular option.
buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 11:48 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

yes it added about $200 more to the cost of the door, wanted a nice exterior door so paid the extra. OP said he didn't want to go too much for just a garage side door. Another option is to redo the doorframe. I had to do that with my attached garage door to the house. The door that was there was too small anyway, so I opened up the entry way to fit in a new door.
DUDE! is offline   Reply With Quote