Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-13-2010, 04:33 PM   #1

Share |

Trimming a Basement Window

I want to get some opinions on my basement egress windows.
Picasa Web Albums - 10890264511619893...

My windows are about 4' square directly placed on the concrete. Last winter there was some condensation build up on the concrete around the windows. Note: the windows did not leak - it was definitely condensation. I will most likely trim out the windows with oak extension jambs. Here are my questions.

1) Should I use liquid nails to glue the jambs directly to the concrete?
2) Should I put poly film between the concrete and jambs?
3) Should I use pink foam/XPS to cover the concrete and insulate it - thus removing the cold surface and hopefully the condensation?
4) If I cover the concrete with anything, how do I make sure that the oak jambs are firmly attached? Just nail them?

Other ideas?

Thanks!

Picasa Web Albums - 10890264511619893...
ShaneK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 07:24 PM   #2
DIY staff

Trimming a Basement Window

I suggest that you use 1/2 inch oak ply--3/4 solid oak will work --but may not allow for any gap between the concrete and the wood.

Your jamb extenders should be build like a box --then shimmed and nailed to the framing.

If sized right there will be room to spray some Great Stuff (blue can) into the gap.

Basement window jamb extenders require careful measuring--the windows are seldom plumb to the walls--the sides may have different measurements top and bottom.--Mike--
oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
basement, trim, window