Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-16-2009, 07:23 AM   #1

Share |

Trim selections-MDF?

Is MDF trim okay to use around windows? If a window is left open, do we need to worry about it taking on moisture? Will it support the weight of a curtain rod & draperies? Does it dent easily? If the door frame has to be ripped down, is the ripped edge ok to leave as-is? We are trying to save costs - what are the advantages/disadvantages of using MDF instead of wood?

steel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 07:43 AM   #2

Trim selections-MDF?

MDF is used a lot for trim, especially baseboard and wainscoting applications. I prefer not to use it at all but that is just my preference. If you buy preprimed material in pine I have a hard time understanding how you are going to save money by using MDF. I wouldn't use it around a window because of the moisture but then again, lots of people do. Buying preprimed and finished pine at a reasonable price will be more cost effective and time saving than buying the MDF and going through the work of ripping, sanding, priming, and painting. And most of the prefab MDF trims are really cheap looking...again just another viewpoint.

Old 02-16-2009, 10:10 AM   #3
SNC

Trim selections-MDF?

i agree with jaros, use primed pine. I hate MDF and use it as a last resort. MDF is garbage.
SNC is offline   Reply With Quote