Trim Nailing A Door Jamb To Framing - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-24-2011, 03:27 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,038
Question

trim nailing a door jamb to framing

this seems kind of trite but how should i nail a door jamb to the framing, i.e. at which spacing should i set the nails in (e.g. 4, 8, of however many inches between), and should i use 1 or 2 trim nails at every step ?

Advertisement

amakarevic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 05:03 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

trim nailing a door jamb to framing

Exterior or interior doors? Rabbeted jam or flat stock with a stop on it? Prehung?
Shim in four or five places ,nail through the shims on each side of the jam to prevent twisting, score and snap, 2" nails as you will have at least 3/4 of material and a 1/4 space to go through before reaching the framing. Dont forget the casing will also help to hold things in place. You can also shim where the hinge is and replace one of the screws in each hinge with a longer one to hold more securely. Shim where the latch hits the striker plate. There are also ways to do blind nailing with some jams to make life easier on the finishers or painters.

Advertisement

Last edited by masterofall; 01-24-2011 at 05:19 PM.
masterofall is offline   Reply With Quote