Trim That Is Covered By Flooring - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-05-2013, 01:10 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Trim that is covered by flooring

My home has existing baseboard trim that is outdated and heavily damaged. I typically replace all baseboard and window/door trim when remodeling a room, with new white trim.

In my newest house, several rooms have flooring that does not need to be replaced, but the flooring was done "up-to" the trim. I'd imagine this is a fairly common issue but have not found many topics that address it.

In my last house, I left the trim in place, and repaired/painted it. For me this is far more time consuming than replacing with new trim.

Replacing it has 2 hurdles. (1) the lower nails are covered by the flooring. (2) the new trim needs to be slightly thicker than the old, or put back into the space between the flooring and wall.

I'm reaching out to the DIY chatroom to see if there's a solution I'm overlooking. I use the standard contracter pack stuff HD sells, with the build in quartercap. This is the existing trim, and the trim I buy new (to stay consistent room to room).

Even tips on removing the trim would be helpful.

Thanks!
Bryan

Advertisement

bmbigda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 01:30 PM   #2
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,526

Pry the top of the baseboard away from the wall then cut the lower nails with a sawzall.

Advertisement

Old 11-05-2013, 03:02 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 616

I've done it 2 different ways, one as already suggest but you need to cut the paint line first, then tap in a wall 4" putty knife where the nails are at the top of the base. Then you can tap in a flat bar or trim bar and pry the base without damaging the wall.

The other way is I used a Toe Kick saw and stood it on end. It will cut right along the floor with no damage. I then used an oscillating saw or a short wide sawsall blade to finish the ends where the Toe Kick would not reach.
Old 11-05-2013, 03:35 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
I've done it 2 different ways, one as already suggest but you need to cut the paint line first, then tap in a wall 4" putty knife where the nails are at the top of the base. Then you can tap in a flat bar or trim bar and pry the base without damaging the wall.

The other way is I used a Toe Kick saw and stood it on end. It will cut right along the floor with no damage. I then used an oscillating saw or a short wide sawsall blade to finish the ends where the Toe Kick would not reach.
Just when I think I know of every tool...I learn about the Toe Kick saw. I had tried using oscillating tool/flush cut blade in the past, but even with taping and extreme care it burns the wood floor. I will look into this toe kick saw.

The sawzall technique is a good one, too.

Thanks!
Old 11-05-2013, 03:44 PM   #5

An oscillating saw would take far to long for that long a cut.
woodworkbykirk (11-06-2013)
Old 11-05-2013, 03:49 PM   #6

It would be worth my investment to pick up one of these saws, provided I can get a nice flish cut that new trim will sit on top of. (and that it doesnt damage the wood floor).
Old 11-05-2013, 04:02 PM   #7

Harbor Freight, Northern Tool, sell a cheap one and Home Depot rents them.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:37 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 150

i found by prying the trim and removing the top nails, i could hit the lower nails with a oscillating tool and pop the trim out, but yes i removed all this in my living room and hallway and found it be very time consuming, so much that for the rooms, i will leave the base as is and put a base cap on top and paint it. this probably means your door jambs and door trim are "to the subfloor" as well. i am finding this out for myself and my new colonial door trim does not cover up the gaps left by the old clamshell trim so i need to make little oak filler pieces to fill in the space
langless28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 07:55 AM   #9

Instead of trying to use the newer one piece base you can go with regular clear 1 X 6 pine and add a base cap on top. Same look but the 1X is 1/4" thicker.
That's the way most older home were done.
I've never seen an oscillating blade made to cut nails and the base would have to be tipped way to far back to fit it in the opening.
A 6" bimetal wide sawsall blade works far faster and needs less room.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:59 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 150

they have bi-metal cutting blades. i'm not saying i didn't burn through a blade or two but it was small enough to get in there and cut the nail.
langless28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 08:05 AM   #11
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,222

I use a heavy duty 5 in one painters tool to remove trapped base board----

cut the caulk---drive the painters tool between the trim and wall---find the nails---place the tool on top of the nail---smack it with a hammer and the nails will be bent and pulled right through the back of the trim.

Never had this method fail me---just buy a larger heavy painters tool.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:18 PM   #12
Stairguy

Rewards Points: 500

Mike, that would be my method of choice. Once you get the top nails pryed out you could probably pull the baseboard out with your hands. Just be carefully of pry points
Millertyme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Millertyme For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (11-07-2013)
Old 11-07-2013, 03:32 PM   #13
journeyman carpenter

Rewards Points: 154

i run into this all the time. i just pry the baseboard off the wall and pry off what i can.. then split the baseboard at the height of the floor and remove that.. this is only if im installing new base.. by leaving that small amount in the gap it makes installing new base easier as it will keep it from falling down into the gap between the flooring and hte wall

Advertisement

woodworkbykirk is online now   Reply With Quote