Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-27-2009, 02:45 PM   #1

Share |

Trim caulking near corner of room

Hi All,

I am presently in the process of caulking the edges of all the casing trim in the house, which I have recently installed. My question is this... on some of the doors, the trim is very close to the corner of the room, I would say between 1/8 and 3/8 of an inch from the corner. Would it be better to caulk this gap all the way to the wall, then paint the caulk the same color as the trim, or try to do just a thin bead and then get a tiny line of paint between the trim and the wall.

Thanks!

Last edited by RxScram; 09-27-2009 at 03:08 PM.
RxScram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 03:11 PM   #2
Remodeler

If these are interior doors your talking about I wouldn't worry about caulking this section. You can't see it can you? When you paint the wall just paint the wall with a small brush in there and paint the trim just around the edge so as not to get trim paint on the wall.
If these are exterior doors you should have a seal before the trim goes on so the same holds true as with above. An air seal is made with foam, or insulation on an exterior door.
Don't fill the whole area with caulk.
These areas are a pain in the neck :-)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MinConst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 07:18 PM   #3

In my recent remodel I had two doors near the same corner - I had to even use a narrower casing so they did not touch one another. There is no caulking there, no way, and I had a heck of a time with the painting. But one can't see the problem areas, so it really matters not.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote