Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-25-2008, 07:52 PM   #1

Share |

Trim around a mirror?

Please help before I maim my husband.

I have a 26" x 31" mirror, 1/8" thick.

I want trim around it - it will be installed in a bathroom. The trim I bought is door casing, 2 1/4" wide. DH planned to rout out an edge in the trim and clip the mirror into place, while hanging it up by the trim. He doesn't think it is stable enough (if the glue doesn't hold we'll have one hell of a mess).

So, do we need to put some type of backer on this mirror, and glue/staple/trim nail the trim to? The thing is that I had the mirror cut too big, and our overall finished size is only to be 27" x 32".

I hope I've explained enough. Thanks for any help!
kimberland30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 09:54 PM   #2

Trim around a mirror?

I think you could use good quality wood glue and make sure you get a tight joint and it will never be a problem. Modern wood glues are incredibly strong. You could use some silicone in the groove to hold everything together just to reduce the stress on the miters as well.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 07:13 AM   #3
Whatamess

Trim around a mirror?

thekctermite is very correct about the wood glues if you have a tight joint. You can also use metal "L" brackets on the back of the frame if you are worried.
Old 09-26-2008, 08:26 AM   #4

Trim around a mirror?

Y'all are awesome! Thank you for the idea on the L brackets Taz...something I never thought of. I have some gorilla glue that I bought - it specifically mentions wood and glass. But DH has something else that he wants to use (I can't remember what it is named, but my brother uses it for everything).

Thanks again! Hopefully tonight he'll be able to get the mirror framed and ready to hang, and I can finally finish the bathroom project we started 3 weeks ago!
Old 09-26-2008, 08:46 AM   #5
the Musigician

Trim around a mirror?

i don't think you want to use gorilla glue on this unless you have some strong clamps to hold it till dry as GG swells and the miters would suffer. the size and thickness you have for the mirror is pretty light so i wouldn't worry about it falling from weight. personally, i'd just use good wood glue and while in the clamps, install the "L" brackets on the back as Taz recommended, this will make a strong frame to hang it with. i used GG to glue a long mirror into an oak frame i'd made but just to hold the mirror, not the oak!
but what do i know? i'm just a mouse.....

DM.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 10:30 AM   #6

Trim around a mirror?

Ay, but you are a dangerous mouse so you may know something.

The frame will be assembled prior to the mirror going in. Our plan is to have the frame done (caulked and painted), and lay the mirror into the routed edges for a perfect fit (har har). The glue will go into the grooves for the mirror, and we'll clamp it until dry. Will wood glue hold a mirror to wood? I was thinking that once the glue sets, we'll put the L brackets in for additional support.

We'll then use picture brackets screwed into the back of the trim for hanging.

Last edited by kimberland30; 09-26-2008 at 10:34 AM.
Old 09-26-2008, 11:23 AM   #7
the Musigician

Trim around a mirror?

i used the GorillaGlue but not between the glass and wood! use it like a caulk around the edges on the rear and it will seal the mirror to wood just fine. don't let it seep under mirror or it'll lift, a soft weight on mirror might help. i'd put the brackets on while still in the clamps. picture brackets is fine idea.....but what do i know? i'm just a mouse.....

DM
Old 09-26-2008, 11:49 AM   #8

Trim around a mirror?

Mouse is right. Gorilla glue sucks for stained applications. If you're painting the wood you can use it. It is a self-spreading glue and it uses the moisture in the wood to foam up. That foam will inevitably seep out of the joint, and cannot be removed without leaving evidence...Hence, you can't stain over it successfully without it showing.

I occasionally use Gorilla glue for parts of jobs that will not be visible, but learned my lesson long ago for using it for woodwork that will be stained or clearcoated.

I would suggest Titebond II yellow wood glue for this project.

I don't see any need for brackets, and if you are going to use them I would recommend their installation after the glue has had a day or two to fully set and cure. They very well may draw the miter open otherwise.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 12:03 PM   #9
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Trim around a mirror?

you stated that you are going to frame around the mirror with 2 1/4" caseing. and router out the back so the mirror fits into the frame. Are you going to install the trim with the thicker side facing the inside of the frame?. because if you dont by the time you router the casing you will be cutting into the face of the profile of the casing from the back side. The casing starts at 1/8" thick and ends around 5/8"- 11/16".
What I would do is router the thickness part of the casing out about 3/16" and lay the mirror into the slot. then cut some 1/4 luan plywood keeping it 1/2" shorter then the overall frame and fasten it to the back side of the frame. this way you will have some sort of backer behind the thin mirror. and the luan will give the frame some good support. Just an idea I wanted to bring up. the backer acts as a support for the mirror and protects the back from getting scratched. once the back is scratched the mirror is useless to some degree.
Good luck BOB
buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 12:04 PM   #10
the Musigician

Trim around a mirror?

i guess i should have said i used the GG because it was all i had at the time, my preference would be liquid nails or other caulking adhesive to "caulk" in the mirror securely after the frame has dried. no danger of GG seeping and ruining the project. wood glue will work fine on the frame, but not so good frame to mirror. with LIQ-N holding it together, brackets should not be necessary with this project. what's KC call it? oh yeah.........overkill? s'cuse me now, i have to go Napalm some anthills.

DM
Old 09-26-2008, 12:26 PM   #11

Trim around a mirror?

Wow, y'all are quick!

The trim (casing) I bought is primed, and I've applied two coats of white paint. DH has already cut the pieces to make the frame.

The thickest part of the casing is going to be on the outside of the mirror, with the thinest part up against the mirror (glued on).

Titebond is the stuff I couldn't remember earlier (thanks thekctermite!) . My brother uses it for everything!

Anyway, DH has routed the back of the thin side back to allow a half inch "frame" on the back that the mirror will set into (he routed 1/8", the thickness of the mirror). He wants to put some type of backing on it (just as buletbob suggested). Once the frame is set and the mirror is in place, he wants to add shims behind the mirror since the casing will now be at a slant to be pressed up against the mirror. Once everything is level, he wants to attach some type of backing - and brad nail it to the frame...just so that there is additional support in the back and something for us to attach the hangers to.

I know I might not be saying all this right, it's hard to put into words and not draw pictures. LOL

ETA: I was just thinking that maybe shims won't be needed. If he took out 1/8" from the trim and that is replaced by the mirror, the trim should be flush around the mirror...right? I must stop thinking about this and just get it done!

Last edited by kimberland30; 09-26-2008 at 12:45 PM.
Old 09-26-2008, 03:56 PM   #12
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Trim around a mirror?

You know kimberland, being he already routed the back side of the casing, you could use two sided tape to hold the casing to the face of the mirror. this way you don't have to worry about the casing pulling away from the face after its hung over time. the backer with brads will hold everything together. miter all your pieces glued and lay in some make shift jig of scrap wood and on a plywood base. once glued and in jig layout your tape being straight and neat. and then install your mirror pressing lightly into the tape. then remove from jig and align any miter seams with brads at each miter side of casing. once the glue sets up install your back panel. this way when looking at the face of the mirror you will see a nice even line from the tape by the mirror reflecting the back side of the casing. BOB
buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 09:57 AM   #13

Trim around a mirror?

I've attached the picture (hopefully it works).

Friday I painted the back of the casing since part of it shows up against the mirror. DH then used Sumo Glue to glue the casing to the mirror. He then clamped it and we let it sit overnight.

The next afternoon I sanded away the glue foam that seeped through the miters (what we didn't get when it was still setting), and caulked the miters and applied another coat of paint. DH then attached a piece of luan board to the back, and drilled the hangers into the frame/luan. We got it hung up and it looks fab-o.

Thank you all for your help, and god help us if we ever need to frame another mirror!
Attached Images

Old 09-29-2008, 10:01 AM   #14
the Musigician

Trim around a mirror?

-=chuckle=- thank you for the follow up and the pic! always nice to see a happy ending!

DM
Old 10-01-2008, 08:36 PM   #15

Trim around a mirror?

I had my existing mirror framed by a picture framing shop. Came out nice!
Attached Thumbnails
Trim around a mirror?-pc290166.jpg  
Gevans17 is offline   Reply With Quote