Trim Around Door - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-19-2010, 12:16 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Trim Around Door

hey so im putting trim around my door the top pieces fits great the one side fits great but the other side is against a closet wall and at the top it fits great but the wall is crooked and about half way down the trim wont fit around the door frame anymore because of the wall im guessing i need to cut the trim on an angle?

Advertisement

Petrafire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 07:02 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Trim Around Door

Don't you just hate it when you install a new door all plumb/level, then find out the house is cockeyed??? Fudging how the trim is installed may work for slight differences, but cutting may be need for glaring errors. Sometimes wider trim helps.

Advertisement

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 10:26 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Trim Around Door

maybe i should post a picture of what i mean how do i cut the trim to fit the one side the trim is 3 3/4" Wide
Attached Thumbnails
Trim Around Door-door.jpg  
Petrafire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 11:27 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

Trim Around Door

you need to scribe the trim to fit against the out of plumb wall.
you'll need a 1X6 trimmed to fit or you'll have an unsightly gap.

i would hold a piece of 1X6 (maybe rip it a bit wider than 4" to start with) coplanar with your door jamb (perfectly plumb, right?), scribe the side against the wall by holding a pencil on the flat and transferring the line, or using a compass. then cut it with a jigsaw or a skill saw, and sand/hand plane if necessary.

another method is to simply stuff a little flexible quarter round along that seam to cover the gap. i think this will look stupid though, because it's an ugly transition at the top, unless you run some kind of small molding all the way around the outer casing.
wombosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 01:50 AM   #5
Ole Wood Worker

Rewards Points: 2,836

Trim Around Door

I got a question for you, which will be the most noticeable the trim on the right side cut at an angle, (which would emphasizes the door is either hung out of plumb or the wall is out of plumb,) or the slight out of level trim at the top of the door. In my opinion the chances are that you will not see the door is out of plumb as easily as you will the trimmed molding if you trim the molding to fit the out of plumb wall.

What I am saying is do not cut the trim on the right, keep the piece of molding whole and kick the bottom of the door out 1/2 inch. Try it both ways and see which you prefer looking at the door from a distance.
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BigJim For This Useful Post:
Gary in WA (07-20-2010)
Old 07-20-2010, 05:33 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,052

Trim Around Door

If the door installed that way (previous post) doesn't fit at the strike, just cut the hinge jamb shorter to compensate for the out of plumb condition. Depends on severity, may need to cut bottom of door at an angle, also. This way the strike will line and the strike jamb will not be raised off the floor.

Be safe, Gary

Advertisement