Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-20-2011, 11:04 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Trim around baseboard radiators?

I recently renovated my living room and dining room and I am at the stage where I am installing the baseboard trim. My only issue with this is that my house has several cast iron baseboard radiators and several cast iron convenctors. The baseboard radiators are only about 8 inches tall and 6 to 8 feet long and sit against the drywall. The cast iron convectors are about 2 feet tall and 3.5 feet long and are recessed into the 2x4 walls. This leaves apporximately 2 inches sticking out past the drywall. I have chosen a baseboard trim that is 5.25 inches tall and I don't know if I should use it to trim around both the radiators and convectors. I think it would look weird running up the sides and tops of the radiators and convectors. But I also think it would look weird to use my door and window casing. What should I do?

chronojosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 04:37 PM   #2
Stairguy

On the large one that sticks out from the wall, I would just but the baseboard up tight to. Perhaps you ca do that both. You didn't mention if the smaller one sticks out. You could also bring the baseboard into the radiator and do returned ends on it. I definitely wouldn't run the baseboard around it.

Millertyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 01:04 PM   #3
Retired carpenter

Have the baseboards butt against the radiators, and don't trim around them (it will look awful). Just use drywall mud around them (fix-it-all first if you have big gaps).
abracaboom is offline   Reply With Quote