Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-05-2010, 08:24 AM   #1
Toe

Share |
Question

Triangular shoe molding?

Has anyone ever seen or installed triangular shoe molding?

I am looking for something that would be like a 1"x1" board, cut diagonally (to make two identical triangular shoes).

Quarter-round (or any other shoe molding) accumulates dust. I think that a shoe with less horizontality to it might just be a little less prone to collect dust.

As far as I can tell, even 1x1 hardwood boards are not very easy to come by. So I suspect that custom-making these might be pretty darn expensive.

I'm having my floors re-done by professionals, and will ask them. But it would be nice to be able to point them to something if anyone else knows of anything...?

Toe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 09:00 AM   #2

Triangular shoe molding?

Depending on what kind of wood you're talking about wouldn't be expensive at all. I'm assuming you'll need a whole housefull of this moulding. You should be able to get most 1x3 or 1x4 for about $1/foot, then depending on what you buy, you should be able to get 3 or 4 rips out of each board making this moulding $.25 or $.33 per foot. And compared to a hardwood base shoe that's even cheaper.

sausagefingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 01:33 PM   #3
A "Handy Husband"

Triangular shoe molding?

I think it would be nearly impossible to cut that small a piece with a table saw. And then you would have to deal with trying to sand out the saw marks. A molding cutting machine could do it but unless you own one it will get expensive.

I think your concerns about dust are excessive. I would use standard stock shoe mold (not 1/4 round) in the same material as the base molding.
Old 07-05-2010, 04:04 PM   #4

Triangular shoe molding?

There isn't any profile of molding that is dust resistant. Increase the cleaning schedule.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 05:03 PM   #5

Triangular shoe molding?

I guess I'm just used to using my table saw to make little pieces of molding like that. Probably shouldn't ask a DIYer to do such a thing. But I think the concern with dust is more of the issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjniles View Post
I think it would be nearly impossible to cut that small a piece with a table saw. And then you would have to deal with trying to sand out the saw marks. A molding cutting machine could do it but unless you own one it will get expensive.

I think your concerns about dust are excessive. I would use standard stock shoe mold (not 1/4 round) in the same material as the base molding.
sausagefingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 08:16 PM   #6
Toe

Triangular shoe molding?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
There isn't any profile of molding that is dust resistant. Increase the cleaning schedule.
Ron
Of course I'm not expecting a change in shape to do my cleaning for me, but it is clearly evident that horizontal surfaces collect dust. I am trying to minimize them in numerous ways, and floorboards and shoe moldings, being so low to the ground, are major collectors. A slight change in shape of them might help allow more dust to settle all the way to the floor, where it is much easier to pick up than off a surface which is one inch above the floor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sausagefingers View Post
I guess I'm just used to using my table saw to make little pieces of molding like that. Probably shouldn't ask a DIYer to do such a thing. But I think the concern with dust is more of the issue.
I posted on diy because it's been there for me in the past. But in this instance, I have no intention of doing this myself. I don't have any kind of saw at the moment, and I'm having a pro sand and refinish the floors. he's bidding to also put in shoe molding, and I'm looking at my options there. Sure I can ask him his opinion, but I like to have broader input than one person.
Toe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 10:08 PM   #7

Triangular shoe molding?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post
Of course I'm not expecting a change in shape to do my cleaning for me, but it is clearly evident that horizontal surfaces collect dust. I am trying to minimize them in numerous ways, and floorboards and shoe moldings, being so low to the ground, are major collectors. A slight change in shape of them might help allow more dust to settle all the way to the floor, where it is much easier to pick up than off a surface which is one inch above the floor.
It won't.
Watch the face of the guy you hire when you broach this subject. If you see his cheek move, he's biting his lip.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 12:32 PM   #8

Triangular shoe molding?

I, too, would think that cutting a triangle profile from boards to be readily doable, planing the rough surface. But then, that is doing it myself for "free". The cost for someone to hire me might be prohibitive.

Regading dust, I get it everywhere, including vertical surfaces. I wound not expect a triangle profile to be less resistant. I am with the others....clean it more regularly. The triangle shape offers no cleanliness benefit in my estimation.
oberkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 11:43 PM   #9

Triangular shoe molding?

An isosceles triangle cut from a 1x1 like you describe would collect as much dust as any other 3/4" wide moulding. Dust isn't going to slide down a sloped face, if that's what you were hoping, since the forces of surface friction vastly outweigh the forces of gravity for dust particles.

To minimize dust you need to minimize the width of your moulding - i.e., go with rjniles suggestion and use standard shoe rather than 1/4 round.

Or, if you really can't handle seeing dust, you could camouflage it by installing a "flocked" moulding. (Just make sure you use flocked wallpaper to coordinate with your trim work.)
jules4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 02:26 PM   #10

Triangular shoe molding?

I could sort of envision dust collection being minimized but I would go steeper than the 45 angle you would get from a 1/1. I might try a 1x4 cut on the diagonal for a steeper slope. What dust does gather on the slope could be more easily cleared with a regular pass of a broom. I believe a band saw could make a cleaner cut with less waste but you would have to build a jig to hold the stock at the appropriate angle. It would probably be easier to dust the horizontal surface of square or quarter round molding.
Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 05:30 PM   #11

Triangular shoe molding?

paint the moulding dust colored

Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom Struble For This Useful Post:
jules4 (07-18-2010)