TREX Lighting Questions - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-12-2015, 09:20 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 14

TREX lighting questions

Hello, I'm about ready to install the wiring for the TREX lights. I will be putting on lighted caps on all 12 post. I seen on the TREX video and was told by the salesman that I can only hook up one light with the 6 way splitter by TREX. This doesn't make much sense to me, should be able to split it out to 4 lights, since two of the 6 is used to connect to and from from another splitter for a series connection to other post. Do i really need a 6 way splitter on each post??

Also, the salesman thinks that the post caps with lights will come with a 10' wire to connect to the splitter, is this true or do I need to buy them seperate? I already bought 12 wires to run from splitter to splitter already, this stuff is not cheap

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Advertisement

morrisk64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 10:04 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 858

I could find little technical information useful to me on their website. Ergo, I can't reply from an electrical standpoint. Just a WAG, but maybe their splitter supplier is somebody's brother-in-law?

Appears to me to be a plug-and-play system, so you'll have to adjust the way you want to do it, to the way they want it done.

Advertisement

Any mention of codes is based on NFPA 70 and/or 72, as applicable, because they are the most widely adopted codes in the US. Local amendments may modify the code adopted in your area, so consult your local codes official.

Last edited by GrayHair; 09-12-2015 at 10:09 AM.
GrayHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 09:16 PM   #3
General contractor/carpen

Rewards Points: 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by morrisk64 View Post
Hello, I'm about ready to install the wiring for the TREX lights. I will be putting on lighted caps on all 12 post. I seen on the TREX video and was told by the salesman that I can only hook up one light with the 6 way splitter by TREX. This doesn't make much sense to me, should be able to split it out to 4 lights, since two of the 6 is used to connect to and from from another splitter for a series connection to other post. Do i really need a 6 way splitter on each post??

Also, the salesman thinks that the post caps with lights will come with a 10' wire to connect to the splitter, is this true or do I need to buy them seperate? I already bought 12 wires to run from splitter to splitter already, this stuff is not cheap

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
I have installed hundreds of the cap lights. I always run my own wire. I use 16g landscape wire. I run a continuous loop Daisy chained from post to post. It's the fastest and most reliable. Everytime I get a call back its always had to do with those connectors. Whether it be the 6 way splitter or the single connector its always been the reason for the failure. I make every connection inside the light cap. I also cut my wood post 1" low to accomodate any connections I might need.
Attached Thumbnails
TREX lighting questions-1442196813866.jpg   TREX lighting questions-1442196891052.jpg   TREX lighting questions-1442197205463.jpg  
Old 09-13-2015, 10:13 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 122

what thickness is that glass w/no top, we have a hard time getting that passed, bldg. dept wants all kind of specs, which glass comp. can't or won't provide.

Last edited by TheDeckBarn.com; 09-13-2015 at 10:16 PM.
TheDeckBarn.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 10:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDeckBarn.com View Post
what thickness is that glass w/no top
1/2" it was calc'ed to pass the 50lb infill rule and the 200 lb top rail rule.
Old 09-13-2015, 10:23 PM   #6

Quote:
what thickness is that glass w/no top, we have a hard time getting that passed, bldg. dept wants all kind of specs, which glass comp. can't or won't provide.
My glass company had all the info. They need that stuff for commercial and they had prespec'ed paperwork. Great company. All I did was set the posts, they did the rest.
Old 09-14-2015, 01:26 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californiadecks View Post
I have installed hundreds of the cap lights. I always run my own wire. I use 16g landscape wire. I run a continuous loop Daisy chained from post to post. It's the fastest and most reliable. Everytime I get a call back its always had to do with those connectors. Whether it be the 6 way splitter or the single connector its always been the reason for the failure. I make every connection inside the light cap. I also cut my wood post 1" low to accomodate any connections I might need.
I wish I would have thought of that. I just assumed i had to use the overpriced TREX wiring, at $40 for 4ea 10ft lengths, that hurt. So are they simply 2 wire that you splice into each other? Similar to a speaker wire, since I do those all the time.

I will keep that in mind when I'm replacing these splitters in the future, I was unsure of the design of those from the beginning, but too late now, already installed all of them.

Thanks for your input on this, I do appreciate it.
morrisk64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 06:28 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 122

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californiadecks View Post
1/2" it was calc'ed to pass the 50lb infill rule and the 200 lb top rail rule.
how long between them posts, and that just 1/2" tempered right, wanna send the specs to me?
TheDeckBarn.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 10:05 PM   #9

Quote:
how long between them posts, and that just 1/2" tempered right, wanna send the specs to me?
My glass guy has them.

Advertisement