Treating A Cedar Garage Door - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-24-2011, 05:45 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 500

Treating a cedar garage door

I have a new cedar garage door I need to treat. I was thinking of using
Behr Premium Transparent Weatherproofing Wood Finish, but am thinking I would like a more glossy finish. Can I use polyurethane instead? Does that protect wood from sun, rain and wind?

Advertisement

cortell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 09:31 PM   #2
Stairguy

Cedar is sensitive to UV rays and will change a silver color as it gets older. A sealer might slow this process but will not eliminate it. If you want to seal, do no use a regular polyurethane. Use a spar varnish which is made for exterior applications. Cedar is very rot resistant and may not need any sealer. New growth cedar, however, is not as rot resisant as old growth cedar.

Advertisement

Millertyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 03:27 AM   #3
Contractor - Renovations

Rewards Points: 250

I would use a stain like Timber Pro UV. I have used this with good success on cedar. I've never used it on a door though.

I would be wary of using a poly on cedar... Whatever you use, I think you would want a stain that isn't going to chip, flake, or peel, as it ages

Also, whatever one you look at check to make sure it is okay to use with cedar.
fungku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 08:57 AM   #4
Coatings Nerd

Sikkens Log & Siding is most likely what you will want. Its a stain and finish in one product. You will need to use the maintenance product every 3 years or so depending on the exposure. This type of product requires maintenance, but then again, so does cedar in general. Plus the look is unbeatable by any other product out there.

Here's the log and siding product info
http://www.nam.sikkens.com/product.c...egory=exterior

Benjamin Moore, Sikkens, TWP, PPG, Airless sales and service
NCpaint1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 09:48 AM   #5

Three excellent answers. Sikkens is the only one I have experience with, but it does need constant re-applications
mrgins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 02:04 PM   #6
Coatings Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgins View Post
Three excellent answers. Sikkens is the only one I have experience with, but it does need constant re-applications
Yep, but so do ALL exterior wood sealers. There is no permanent fix at this time. Wood will require maintenance.

Old 02-25-2011, 02:14 PM   #7

Thanks everyone. Sounds like I should for sure stay away from polyurethane. I'll take a look at the product mentioned.
Old 02-25-2011, 02:22 PM   #8
Coatings Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by cortell View Post
Thanks everyone. Sounds like I should for sure stay away from polyurethane. I'll take a look at the product mentioned.
Polyurethane would be a no no. Exterior wood needs to breathe. Sikkens is microporous allowing the wood to pass moisture. Most sealers are sacrificial coatings, meaning that they wear out over time and not the wood. You will want to apply a maintenance coat on this product every 3 years or so. The door will still look great in 3 years, but thats the idea, keep it looking good. Once the product starts to fail, its all downhill from there.

Old 02-25-2011, 02:32 PM   #9

@NCpaint1: would you say the Sikkens product is significantly better than the Behr stuff that's readily available at Home Depot for this sort of application?
Old 02-25-2011, 02:39 PM   #10

Sorry. Just remembered that you said "Plus the look is unbeatable by any other product out there." That answers my question :-)
Old 02-25-2011, 02:42 PM   #11
Coatings Nerd

Quote:
@NCpaint1: would you say the Sikkens product is significantly better than the Behr stuff that's readily available at Home Depot for this sort of application?
No comparison at all. 2 totally different products completely. The Log & Siding product is designed for Log homes, cedar siding...vertical applications basically. Its color and finish in one, and actually dries to a satin finish. They do make a different set of products for horizontal surfaces like decks. The Log & Siding product sells for + $70/gal

I should add that its also available by the qt, for a standard 2 car garage door, you will probably need 2 qts for 2 coats.

Last edited by NCpaint1; 02-25-2011 at 02:45 PM.
Old 02-25-2011, 03:04 PM   #12

One more question. I read up on the literature and it sounds like a reapplication would first require removing what's left of the previous application. I was hoping we could just "slap on another coat or two" a few years down the road. I'm not sure whether the Behr product has the same requirements; their literature is not as clear on this point. However, that would be a big consideration. Stripping the old stuff adds a lot of work to the maintenance. Any advice on this point?
Old 02-25-2011, 03:12 PM   #13
Coatings Nerd

Quote:
One more question. I read up on the literature and it sounds like a reapplication would first require removing what's left of the previous application. I was hoping we could just "slap on another coat or two" a few years down the road. I'm not sure whether the Behr product has the same requirements; their literature is not as clear on this point. However, that would be a big consideration. Stripping the old stuff adds a lot of work to the maintenance. Any advice on this point?
Whatever coating is on there as of now would need to be removed. After applying Sikkens, there is no need to remove the finish for maintenance, just a simple clean and maintenance coat ( 1 coat ). You can use the same product for the maintenance...although that does darken the door because you are adding more color. Sikkens makes a product called Cetol Maintenance. This is basically a clear version of the Log & Siding designed to bring back the sheen, and help add more UV absorbers. This product will change the color slightly, but its almost unnoticeable.

The only reason you would have to strip this product, is if you go too long between maintenance coats. 3 years is the recommended interval on average, you may get shorter or longer depending on the exposure. The key is to keep up on the maintenance. You will be applying the maintenance coat while the door still looks great, and thinking to yourself "it still looks good, do I really need to do this?" Yes, thats the idea

Last edited by NCpaint1; 02-25-2011 at 03:15 PM. Reason: Added more
Old 02-25-2011, 03:14 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCpaint1 View Post
Whatever coating is on there as of now would need to be removed. After applying Sikkens, there is no need to remove the finish for maintenance, just a simple clean and maintenance coat ( 1 coat ). You can use the same product for the maintenance...although that does darken the door because you are adding more color. Sikkens makes a product called Cetol Maintenance. This is basically a clear version of the Log & Siding designed to bring back the sheen, and help add more UV absorbers. This product will change the color slightly, but its almost unnoticeable.
Awesome. Thanks for the great info!
Old 02-25-2011, 03:22 PM   #15
Coatings Nerd

Quote:
Awesome. Thanks for the great info!
Welcome

Advertisement