Treated 2x4 In The Basement - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-07-2010, 09:49 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

treated 2x4 in the basement

I've just finished putting down treated 2x4 for my metal framed exterior walls in my basement. Do I have to put down the treated wood for the interior walls aswell

Thx

Advertisement

ron08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 10:26 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Treated wood needs to be used when in contact with concrete

Advertisement

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 01:16 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,064

You have a few choices, depending on what is available , check with your local B.D. 2006 IRC requires:
2304.11.2.2 Wood Supported by Exterior Foundation Walls.
Wood framing members, including wood sheathing, that rest on exterior foundation
walls and are less than 8 inches from exposed earth; and wood framing members shall be of naturally durable or preservative-treated wood.
2304.11.2.3 Exterior Walls Below Grade. Wood framing members and furring strips attached directly to the interior of exterior masonry or concrete walls below grade shall be of approved naturally durable or preservative-treated wood.

2304.11.2.4 Sleepers and Sills. Sleepers and sills on a concrete or masonry slab
that is in direct contact with earth shall be of naturally durable or preservative-treated wood. http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=...rBHV5KVp-HCfYA

NATURALLY DURABLEWOOD. The heartwood of the following species with the exception that an occasional piece with corner sapwood is permitted if 90 percent or more of the width of each side on which it occurs is heartwood. Because of their natural ability to resist deterioration,the harder portions of some species of wood are consideredto be naturally durable. The code specifies that“occasional” sapwood is permitted if heartwood constitutes90 percent of each side.

Decay resistant. Redwood, cedar, black locust and black walnut.
Redwood, cedar, black locust and black walnut lumber are known to resist deterioration due to the action of microbes that enter the wood fibers. The code defines these species of lumber as being decay resistant.

Termite resistant. Redwood and Eastern red cedar. Redwood and eastern red cedar are considered to beresistant to infestation by termites and are thus listed asnaturally durable. The Formosan Termite, however, iscapable of destroying all naturally durable species ofwood.
http://www.ce.udel.edu/courses/CIEG407/Class_17/Wood%20Chapter%2023%20-%20IBC.pdf

I hope you used a sill sealer for a thermal and capillary break under the p.t.: http://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/...-building-code

I heard of someone proving to his Inspector that the slab had 6" of gravel under the 4" slab-- meeting code for 8" away from earth......

Gary

Last edited by Gary in WA; 09-08-2010 at 01:21 AM.
Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 06:39 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave View Post
Treated wood needs to be used when in contact with concrete

Im useing metal framing in the basement,ive put the treated wood down then the metal track on top of it on the exterior walls only ,i havnt started any other walls yet.Now im thinking if its metal framing why do i need treated wood at all,anywhere.
ron08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 07:58 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

Metal can rust pretty quickly
Even faster when in contact w/cement
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 08:06 PM   #6

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,144

You can use untreated wood in contact with concrete, except for concrete that is intact with the soil that is a source for moisture. Wood can be used in a concrete structure if it is isolated or far enough from the "wet or contaminated" concrete section.

For "wrinkled tin", I would make sure there is a separation of the tin from the corrosive treated wood and that special fasteners are used that go into the treated wood. Just being galvanized is not always enough and the type of protection is important. - Once you have a completed and finished basement area the minimal extra cost for the right protection is really not much compared to the time and trouble of repairing.

Dick
concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 08:40 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 150

In addition to the previous posts on why you need it, you may want it to make installation of baseboards easier.
Old 09-09-2010, 09:05 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,064

http://www.steel.org/AM/Template.cfm...entDisplay.cfm

Gary

Advertisement