Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-27-2008, 07:56 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Toung and groove Ceiling

Hi, Everyone
I recently had a carpenter install some #2 pine (treated ) to my ceiling, Upon installation everything was fine , all the joints were tight. Two days later the I'm now beginning to see spaces in between the toung (male ) and groove (female).
  • Here are a few particulars about everything, the wood was fresh from the dealer (still a little damp to the touch).
  • The wood was nailed directly to the joices ( rafters, beams, cross members).
I am totaly loss here as my capenter is blaming the electrician for walking on the wood while in the manhole pulling additional wire!!
I really don't wanna think an electrician could be that dumb and further more the evidence dosent point to the wood being walked on.

Any Ideas here guys!!!!!!!!!!!!! Please give me some feed back!!

bahamaspete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 09:07 PM   #2

Toung and groove Ceiling

When treated lumber dries, it shrinks.

Why would you put treated lumber on a ceiling?

georgiasparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 09:11 PM   #3
remodeling pro

Rewards Points: 500

Toung and groove Ceiling

[quote=bahamaspete;111475]Here are a few particulars about everything, the wood was fresh from the dealer (still a little damp to the touch).
quote]

You have you answer. Obviously the wood had a very high moisture content when installed, and is now acclimating to the surrounding moisture level.. There is always going to be some seasonal movement with T & G, often cracking paint lines if the ceiling is painted. Will probably need to be recaulked and painted again. I never install treated T & G unless it has been kiln dried after treatment. The typical #2 comes directly out of the treatment vessel and to the dealer without even any air drying time, especially to the big boxes.

Last edited by troubleseeker; 03-27-2008 at 09:15 PM.
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 10:08 PM   #4
Finish Carpentry Pro

Rewards Points: 25

Toung and groove Ceiling

All wood is going to shrink and expand as the moisture in the air changes, even if the wood is dry. The wood should have sat in your house for at least a week before install, and that is after the wood has been properly dried.

When we install this at work we always used Liquid Nails behind every board. This will help prevent shrinkage. We actually put Liquid Nails behind every piece of trim that gets installed. I bet your carpenter did not, but the wood still needed to be dry first. Sorry
Quiglag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 07:06 PM   #5

Toung and groove Ceiling

OK
So I'm totally screwed, now what do I do??????????????
I have decided to wait a week or or 2 before I fill in the cracks with wood filler.
Now I guess I'll wait 2 more since I have a gang of other things to do, this should give the wood some time to settle.
Any suggestions!!! I could really use the help as now I feel like I robbed a CHURCH!!!!
My plan is now to fill with wod filler and then paint the dern thing!!

Last edited by bahamaspete; 03-28-2008 at 07:11 PM.
bahamaspete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 07:58 PM   #6
remodeling pro

Rewards Points: 500

Toung and groove Ceiling

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahamaspete View Post
OK
My plan is now to fill with wod filler and then paint the dern thing!!
Do not use wood filler, as once it hardens and the wood moves, it will crack and begin falling out. You need to use a top of the line caulk, not the $1.20 tube "painters caulk", then paint.

troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote