DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Carpentry (
-   -   Too Tall for kitchen sink (

pjslns 10-07-2007 01:33 PM

Too Tall for kitchen sink
Hello DIY,
I,m a new home owner, attempting to remodel a kitchen that compliments my height. I would like to install a kitchen sink and counter top a little higher then normal. Due to my height its uncomfortable when prepping on the counter top or washing dishes in the sink.(lower back pain) I thought a quick way to eliminate this problem is by purchasing taller cabinets or raising the standard cabinets higher off the floor. What would be your best advance? THANKYOU!

redline 10-07-2007 01:57 PM

how much higher does the sink need to be?

pjslns 10-07-2007 02:17 PM

too tall
I would like the sink and countertop about 4 inches higher. That would eliminate the need to bend my back when prepping at the counter and washing pot & pans.

timthetoolman 10-07-2007 06:42 PM

I would say that raising the counter top alone that high would not be practical. There would be no way to hide that gap.

Best bet would probably be to raise the entire cabinets by building a 2X4 base to rest them on. Probably wouldn't have to fasten them to the 2X4s as long as properly fastened to the wall.

All or most cabinets have a kick plate in the front bottom. You can usually get these wider or get prob about 8" mulian (I think i spelled that wrong) available at lumberyards to cover the front.

And for the plumbing you can get a longer tail piece or extension kit and longer supply lines available at any hardware store.

send_it_all 10-07-2007 11:39 PM

The easiest way to do this would be to use or build a taller toe kick...that is the recessed area beneath the cabinets. Raising them 4" would put your finished countertop height at about 40-41".
Do you live alone?...this would be very uncomfortable to a wife or kids.
There are also other issues that could turn into problems or at least inconveniences...
there would be too small of a space between your upper and lower cabinets foe some appliances such as microwaves, blenders, coffee makers, etc. Unless you use something like 30" tall upper cabinets, which would look odd to me.
Do you have a soffit above the upper cabinets now? (a soffit is a drywalled box that protrudes down from the ceiling and the upper cabinets are pushed up to them.) Some kitchens have them, some don't.
Also, it might also become necessary to relocate/raise all the backsplash electrical such as switches and receptacles.
How much room do you have between the countertop and any windows..most kitchens have a window over the sink.
These are just some things to look out for...hope it helps...good luck.

Ron6519 10-09-2007 04:00 PM

Building them taller would look better then raising a standard height base cabinet. Go to your local Kraftmaid, Schrock, etc cabinet place and inquire about your needs. I know Kraftsmaid will modify standard cabinets, but I don't know to what extent.

NateHanson 10-09-2007 04:19 PM

Sounds like he's remodelling, so all the concerns about moving the current cabinets, plumbing, electrical, etc, probably don't apply.

I'm sure you can get taller base cabinets constructed, although it might be custom. A local cabinet maker may be easier to deal with than trying to get custom work out of a national manufacturer like Kraftmaid.

I don't think an 8" toekick would look right. I'd just get taller base cabinets, and raise the wall cabinets to correspond.

Ron6519 10-09-2007 10:30 PM

I've done a number of Kraftmaid kitchens that required modification of standard cabinets. Reducing the depth of base cabinets, the same with pantry cabinets. Not a big deal. It costs you nothing to inquire.

crecore 10-14-2007 07:05 PM

Custom would be best but would also cost the most. If you can live with the look build a platform the size of the cabinet base. Run toe kick over both the cabinet kick and the new platform so it looks like one piece at least. I would splurge on the matching prestained 1/4" plywood from the cabinet company it wont stand out that way. Rip on table saw, trim nail on.

pjpjpjpj 10-15-2007 12:12 PM

My (tall) parents had their kitchen counters raised when they moved into a condo a few years back. The unit was being built from scratch, and they paid for it as an "extra". The contractor just built a 2x4 frame and then sat the same cabinets on it that he would have used - and then installed taller baseboards to cover the front and cut a custom piece of finish to cover the one exposed end. Of course, the upper cabinets were installed 4" higher on the wall to match the height of the counter.

My (also tall) aunt and uncle had the bathroom counters raised in their house years ago, when they built it. Same deal - just a 2x4 frame and taller baseboards.

When I renovate my master bathroom (one of these days), I plan on just taking out the existing cabinets, building a base like that, and then reinstalling them on the frame. In fact, I may go all out - build a frame to support the cabinetry, surround it with baseboard stained to match the cabinets, and then install short wood legs under that (supporting the framing).... which should raise it a solid 8" or so!

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:51 PM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1