Too Much Oak - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-19-2009, 06:11 PM   #1
tinag

Rewards Points: 10
Unhappy

Too Much Oak

Recently married and moved into my husband's 80's all oak home (kitchen cabinets, bathrooms, trim, built-ins, etc.) He refuses to paint over any of the wood and I need ideas on what I could do to bring all this 80's honey oak into the new century. He is open to restaining. Help!

Advertisement

tinag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 06:25 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 25

Too Much Oak

i hate to say it, but that refusing to paint wood is a man thing! It is one thing to paint a valuable antique and destroy its value but there is no reason not to paint over wood-even oak! I can't tell you how to deal with him, but sometimes you might need to just do it and show him how nice it looks. he'll get over it- eeventually!

Advertisement

sagechickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 06:37 PM   #3
tinag

Smile

Too Much Oak

Love your idea but he might not. I could see what happens by starting on one of the bathroom cabinet doors. Thanks!
tinag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 09:25 PM   #4

Too Much Oak

good luck! i figure, unless he really is into decorating, you probably have really good instincts about painting, etc. You might just need to do something small- like your bath cabinets- and let him see how great it can look. have fun
Old 04-19-2009, 09:46 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 75

Too Much Oak

Re-stain them maybe? You can always go darker for a more modern look.
sausagefingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 11:02 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,000

Too Much Oak

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinag View Post
Love your idea but he might not. I could see what happens by starting on one of the bathroom cabinet doors. Thanks!

Could be grounds for divorce
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 05:49 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 250

Too Much Oak

Nothing look worse than painted Oak that has not had it's grain structure filled. Oak being so open grained generally takes multiple coats of grain filler with sanding between. Something to consider.
Mike in Arkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 08:51 PM   #8

Too Much Oak

maybe one of the colored gel stains would work too if you want color but are concerned about the grain as Mike in Ark says.
Old 04-23-2009, 10:11 AM   #9
Interior Designer NWSID

Too Much Oak

I am excited to show you before and after photos of the very same challenge...too much honey colored oak!
click here http://www.kimberleejaynes.com/button-photo3B-big.asp to see before and after photos of oak cabinets that I had stained...they look so updated!

Be sure to have someone that knows what they are doing...because you can get some uneven spots if you don't do it right. Read up on it if you are doing it yourself. There are steps to take that make the job come out like a pro.
Take a look at my blog LINK REMOVED for easy DIY tips on redesign and my website for before and after photos of redesign LINK REMOVED
Hope this helps!

Last edited by Termite; 04-24-2009 at 10:48 AM. Reason: site rules violation, advertising link removed
Kimberlee Jaynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 12:40 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 284

Too Much Oak

Darker is more modern now?.....I remember ripping all the dark stained cabinets, trim and doors out of my house 10 years ago because it was outdated. Now it's back in
Richo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 12:55 AM   #11
Interior Designer NWSID

Too Much Oak

Going darker is much more in than honey colored oak from the 80's! Take a look at my portfolio page and let me know what you think...it sure looks more today than the unstained oak. Now one thing to point out that darker does not mean dark cherry or mahagony a chocolate-wenge look is more updated then the oak...even though it has been in for many years.

LINK REMOVED

Last edited by Termite; 04-24-2009 at 10:49 AM. Reason: site rules violation, repetitive link removed
Kimberlee Jaynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 08:34 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 75

Too Much Oak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richo View Post
Darker is more modern now?.....I remember ripping all the dark stained cabinets, trim and doors out of my house 10 years ago because it was outdated. Now it's back in
At least with oak it is. Since that old honey, yellow, orange color is so hated now, dark is about the only other way to go with oak, unless you like red I suppose which is always pretty sexy. haha.
sausagefingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 09:58 AM   #13

Too Much Oak

Dont talk to him and "hold out", you will get what you want.
bobbyacro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 12:50 PM   #14

Too Much Oak

just start off with something smaller, like cabinet handles? buy new ones that goes with the cabinet door or paint them or just do something creative at a smaller level that is an eye candy for your husband than he might just change his mind and agree with you..

Advertisement

Ken_80 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cabinets , oak , refinishing , tips