Too Ambitious? Narrow Cabinet Or Shelf - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-23-2010, 07:33 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Too ambitious? Narrow cabinet or shelf

I'm in the process of redoing the kids' bathroom.

Of course, I've run into unanticipated roadblocks and have had to rethink my plans a couple times. The latest roadblock made me start considering putting in a (very) narrow shelf/cabinet on the long wall. It would have to be narrow, because the bathroom is quite tiny. The toilet sits 26" from the wall in front of it and there is 43" of workable space between the open door and tub. There is no storage in the bathroom, except for under the sink, which isn't a good place to store things like toilet paper, washcloths, etc.

I can really find anything [within my budget], so I considered building something.

Would that be beyond my ability and available tools? I have basic skills - cutting, nailing, pilot holes, etc. I have a circular saw, reciprocating saw, drill, hammer, brad nailer.

I figure I should be able to throw some sort of frame up with 2x2's, making simple shelf supports, and cover the entire thing with either a piece of 1x6 (though 6" may be too wide and need to be ripped narrower) or thin paneling, plywood and use molding to make it prettier.

Am I dreaming?

An idea of the layout of the bathroom:

Advertisement

a new DIY-er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 10:53 AM   #2
Not so new

Rewards Points: 504

new.....how about recessed areas in the stud bays (niche?). With face frames you could probably get storage 4" or so deep and would take no space from the room.

Advertisement

12penny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 12:37 PM   #3

That's an idea, it would give me more depth. I'm not sure if I'm feeling 'warmed up' enough to do wall work. I'll have to think about it.

I've done drywall work before, my ex-SO and I moved into a little, itty bitty old house and added on a bathroom, two closets (flanking the bathroom), and a kitchen - but that was about 15 years ago.
Old 01-23-2010, 12:40 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

A ideal spot for the shelf or the recessed unit might be behind the toilet.
jlhaslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 12:50 PM   #5

It would be a good place, except there are light switches on the other side of the wall in that spot.
Old 01-25-2010, 07:57 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by a new DIY-er View Post
I'm in the process of redoing the kids' bathroom.

The latest roadblock made me start considering putting in a (very) narrow shelf/cabinet on the long wall. It would have to be narrow, because the bathroom is quite tiny. The toilet sits 26" from the wall in front of it and there is 43" of workable space between the open door and tub. There is no storage in the bathroom, except for under the sink, which isn't a good place to store things like toilet paper, washcloths, etc.

I can really find anything [within my budget], so I considered building something.
26" is already a pretty tight squeeze , the kids will keep growing, and nothing makes a small space feel smaller than crowding it up even more.... i agree with jlhasli. An 'over-the-john' cabinet can be had fairly cheaply (big-box stores sell easy asmbly. melamine ones if solid construction is out of your price range) and it would fit in nicely with the bead board and copper 'cottage' look.
just my 2 centavos!
freeswimmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 08:32 PM   #7

Yes, someone had great planning skills. That bathroom is so tiny, it's serving three bedrooms and it's the guest bath. The bathroom in our master bedroom is actually more square footage than one of the other bedrooms. It's simply ridiculous. If it were at all possible, I'd shrink our bath and give some size to the other, but there isn't any way at all, with the layout of this house.

I have a shelf unit that usually lives over the toilet, but it's open shelves, the kids somehow manage to make everything on it fall off, so it's rather useless - except it is perfect with the shower curtain.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:45 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 25

Quote:
Yes, someone had great planning skills. I have a shelf unit that usually lives over the toilet, but it's open shelves, the kids somehow manage to make everything on it fall off, so it's rather useless - except it is perfect with the shower curtain.
Not that i'm a fan of HD, but if you have a tight budget something like this might work... http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053
there's another one that is $79

obviously solid wood would look and wear better/last longer and right now some cabinet shops are desperate for work. you may be able to meet this price with better quality
freeswimmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 07:48 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Yes, someone had great planning skills. That bathroom is so tiny, it's serving three bedrooms and it's the guest bath. The bathroom in our master bedroom is actually more square footage than one of the other bedrooms. It's simply ridiculous. If it were at all possible, I'd shrink our bath and give some size to the other, but there isn't any way at all, with the layout of this house.

I have a shelf unit that usually lives over the toilet, but it's open shelves, the kids somehow manage to make everything on it fall off, so it's rather useless - except it is perfect with the shower curtain.

Think about adding some doors to this unit... or stops at the front of the shelves.. This will be much easier than building a custom unit.
Big Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 12:06 PM   #10

^ That is a really good idea. I can't do doors, but stops would probably work well. Thank you.

I was at Wal-Mart a couple days ago, and they have narrow baskets in the bath section... those combined with stops would be a great way to solve the problem of things falling off.

Advertisement