Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-09-2012, 08:52 PM   #1

Share |

Tips for scribing L shaped countertop

I've scribed smaller straight sections of countertop without any real issues, but I've never attempted an L shaped top. Is there any trick to getting this right?

Do I scribe each wall section inpendently, then install the miter bolts and fit the countertop? It seems if I did this that I would run the risk of not having a tight corner at the back of the miter adjacent the wall.

Put both pieces together first and then scribe? If that's the case, do I do the side the needs most material removed first then scribe the other side?

Any tips would be appreciated.

Old 03-09-2012, 09:11 PM   #2

Assemble them first, then avarage out the error, You can always take off a little more but if you go to far it's shot.

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 06:42 AM   #3

I use strips of 1/4" plywood and a hot melt glue gun to join the pieces, and brace them. No corner will be exactly 90deg, so join them for the best fit on both walls and mark with your compass. Sand, plane or trim as needed for a perfect fit and transfer that to your top.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Just Bill For This Useful Post:
mae-ling (03-27-2012), oh'mike (03-10-2012), PaliBob (03-12-2012)
Old 03-10-2012, 08:30 AM   #4
Stairguy

Sometimes I'll take a piece of cardboard or a piece of luan to cut a template to the wall.
Millertyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 04:51 PM   #5
Haverhill Trade 1965

First take a quick check for square, (cabinet corner and wall). If it is way off the pattern may work better. I was taught to assemble the top, set it on the cabinets longest side parallel with face of cabinets, back to wherever it touches. Scribe and fit this side, (I used to use a belt sander with a coarse belt, belt running from the finish side of the formica toward the plywood side to prevent chipping or lifting the veneer). put it in place then scribe the second side. If you do both at once no point on your scribe will end up directly opposite where you scribed from. They will both move laterally slightly unless you do one at a time. On a wall it shouldn't vary enough to be noticeable, and the shorted one should have the least variation. It is easy to do any touch ups with the sander. I have scribed a formica counter top to a granite block wall and a brick wall once.
Duckweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 11:13 PM   #6

I make it easy for myself by using cabinet top height saw horses so I can slide the top into place for scribing and then slide it out for trimming. I always work alone so I have to be creative.

mrgins is offline   Reply With Quote