Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-11-2011, 06:57 AM   #1

Share |
Smile

Tips needed to cut stud close to wall

i have removed the middle of 2 studs in a non load bearing wall so that i can recess a bathroom medicine cabinet. currently on the right side of the photo is another stud behind the drywall. currently the hole is about an inch off center to the sink below. if there any reason why i couldn't remove this stud as well as the 2 i already cut off? what would be the best way to remove it being in the corner?

The other side of the stud to be removed is a kitchen pantry.
Attached Thumbnails
Tips needed to cut stud close to wall-hole.jpg  
montpsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 07:15 AM   #2
Retired from the grind

As for the hidden stud, have you tried a dry fit with the cabinet to see if it will fit now? If still needing a little room as is, you can shave a little more off of the Gypsum. Why not just shave off of the left side? Why do you have to do the right side? Think outside of the box.
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 07:54 AM   #3

Personally, I would not want to remove one of the corner studs, so looking at it from another angle, assuming you were to widen the opening to the left, and understanding that it may not be exactly what you had in mind, couldn't you pinch the the sink or vanity to the left as well, in order to line up the sink and cabinet? Also, maybe I am looking at it wrong, but it appears that you may need some manner of blocking to prevent the drywall on the opposite wall from being pushed in.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 08:09 AM   #4

If you remove the stud, the corners will lose their nailing surfaces. Try moving it back an inch or 2.
The whole stud is exposed so you can cut all the fasteners. Then just tap it back and refasten it.
I don't know why this stud is an issue and the sheetrock isn't as they're both in the same plane.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 08:32 AM   #5

Not sure, but I think that the OP is referring to a the stud that we cannot see, to the right of the opening; not the one that we can see, in the middle of the opening.
Old 01-11-2011, 12:43 PM   #6
Retired from the grind

The one in the middle would be for the opposite wall on the other side. But I must be blind, because there is no stud in the opening to help secure the Gypsum to the left of that sleeping stud. Looks to me, more of a DIY job on the drywall, and walls, since the spacing is off. Tape measure must have been broken when they built that place, or two bubba's working from opposite ends.
Old 01-11-2011, 12:57 PM   #7

I saw that as well, and just assumed that they put the stud on the wrong side of the line, and didn't do anything to correct it when they put the wall on the other side in place. That's the reason that I mentioned that there needs to be something to keep the drywall on the opposite wall from being pushed back.
Old 01-11-2011, 01:00 PM   #8
A "Handy Husband"

Looks to me that the 2 studs that the OP cut off were there to secure the drywall on the back of the wall we see. Since he only cut out 18" or so I do not think there is a problem. If there is a extra 1/2" in depth available, I would cover that area with a piece of plywood and screw through from the opposite side.

To cut the unseen stud on the right, I would use an oscillating saw.

Cheap version $30 from Harbor Freight.
http://www.harborfreight.com/multifu...ool-67256.html
The Following User Says Thank You to rjniles For This Useful Post:
montpsycho (01-11-2011)
Old 01-11-2011, 05:21 PM   #9

yes there is nothing to prevent the other side of the wall being pushed in, other than the fact that the wall is behind the fridge. the other half on right side of the stud you can see is the back of the kitchen pantry. the full stud running vertically in the picture is the divider of the wall where the kitchen pantry starts. - not sure why it's done that way, but i was hoping that the 25 inches i cut out would not be a problem concerning the problem of the walls pushing in on the other side.

I really like the oscillating saw idea, my concern is i need to cut 1 & 1/4 inches off the stud. leaving only a 1/4" of stud to help support the medicine cabinet in place. i had thought of making a hole in the kitchen pantry and screw in a 2nd stud on the existing stud. so then i will have a whole stud plus 1/4" of the stud i cut in the wall to hold the medicine cabinet in place. does this sound good?

why are jobs always bigger than they seem?
Old 01-11-2011, 05:45 PM   #10
DIY staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by montpsycho View Post

You should try bidding a remodeling project some time--These little surprises often cost a paycheck----
oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oh'mike For This Useful Post:
Gary in WA (01-11-2011)
Old 01-11-2011, 05:52 PM   #11
the Musigician

Quote:
Originally Posted by montpsycho View Post
Don't get me started.....

DM
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 06:00 PM   #12
Retired from the grind

It is the nature of the beast. Guaranteed, that you will take six more trips to the store after you make the big purchase to start the job, and always find out that you end up either renting, purchasing or borrowing the extra tools needed to get the job done.

As for hacking lumber off of the 2x4, as pointed out before, why not take off of the left.
Old 01-11-2011, 06:52 PM   #13

While your building this, cut the exposed 2x4s back 1 1/2" above and below the opening so that you can lay a flat 2x4 from full stud to full stud horizontally, otherwise your medicine cabinet will be flopping in the breeze. If you need the full 3 1/2" depth of the opening, use sheet metal screwed flat to the end wall stud shown to hold the drywall in the corner in the kitchen. Just be aware of the wire that's showing. Can that be rerouted?
mrgins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 07:17 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgins View Post
Just be aware of the wire that's showing. Can that be rerouted?
that was the in the original plan. i will run a new wire from the box up to the light that will go around the cabinet.

once again for all, it is very unsightly to have a cabinet not centered over the sink.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:03 PM   #15
Retired from the grind

The move the sink over a bit.

Tags
remove, stud