Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-08-2008, 06:02 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

tips on a fixing falling french door

i have a set of French doors, the one we use most is loose from the top hinge, the screws that the door comes with no longer work so i put longer ones but the problem continues do i need to replace the jamb?

Last edited by grimal2; 05-08-2008 at 06:11 PM.
grimal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 08:54 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

Try using plastic anchors. Red Head brand work well; but, there are other brands ,as well. Tap them in the hole and insert screws as you normally would.You make have to drill the hole slightly larger , the package of plastic anchors will tell you which size drill bit to use. Don't use too large of a size of plastic anchor,just something that will fit in the current hole or very slightly larger(which requires slight drilling).

The plastic anchors go into all the holes, then cover with the hinge, then place screws in holes in hinge and tighten.

http://www.handymanjimnoonan.com

Handyman Jim Noonan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 09:03 PM   #3

I would get a hard wood dowl about 3/16" drill the worn holes the same size and glue the dowl in with some good quality glue when the glue dries use a sharp chiesl to make flush. align hinge and drill a pilot hole smaller then the original srcrew and your set. The plastic anchors will keep the hinge from sitting flush in the mortice making the door hinge bound. just my 2 Cents.
buletbob@optonline.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 09:18 PM   #4
Custom Cabinet Maker

Rewards Points: 500

Just run 2 1/2" screws thru the holes in hinge and attach to the rough framing. Door will NOT sag anymore. Use hole closet to the stop.
skymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 09:41 PM   #5
remodeling pro

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by buletbob@optonline.net View Post
I would get a hard wood dowl about 3/16" drill the worn holes the same size and glue the dowl in with some good quality glue when the glue dries use a sharp chiesl to make flush. align hinge and drill a pilot hole smaller then the original srcrew and your set. The plastic anchors will keep the hinge from sitting flush in the mortice making the door hinge bound. just my 2 Cents.
Besides probably binding the hinge as you say, plastic anchors are just a temporary fix. Drill and dowel it, then throw away the existing screws that came with the hinges, as they are most likely 3/4" long; replace with 1 1/4" long ones. If the problem is with the jamb mounted leaf, use screws long enough to reach the framing as suggested. Be sure to only drive them until they snug the hinge, or you will pull the jamb in and mess up the reveal around the door.
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 07:09 AM   #6
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Rewards Points: 1,000

Great Minds Think Alike!
buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 07:36 AM   #7

Yes,using dowels will be another way to ensure that the screws will hold and using longer screws will also work very well.

The term hinge bound means that the mortise is cut too deeply, not that the hinge is held out from the recess.A quick search on google will confirm this.

Don't entirely discount plastic anchors.If used properly, they will work well.They should sit flush. If they don't they should be tapped in a little
until they do.I have never had a call back that would indicate to me that the plastic anchors were a temporary fix.

I will continue to post on this forum if I feel that I can help people with my experience of over 20 years working with doors and other home repairs.If anyone finds fault with my suggestions and they prove me wrong ,I will be the first to admit it .That hasn't happened yet.
Old 05-09-2008, 11:02 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,000

Don't be offended Jim, your suggestion is one that most of us just wouldn't have thought of. I wouldn't consider it the best way to actually FIX the problem, although it is probably a good solution in a lot of cases.
Ingenuity like that is great for this site and the people that vistit it!

I've been doing this sort of thing for years as well, and it goes to show you as soon as you think you've seen every way to do something, another good idea comes along.

Would I pay someone to repair my door that way? Nope. Would I suggest it to a DIY-er to get them by for a while if they didn't have a very heavy door? Sure would, but wouldn't present it as a best-case way of doing it.

Long screws or a wood dowel (glued in and flush cut to the jamb's mortise) are permanent fixes, and should be the first options explored in my opinion.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 01:30 PM   #9

Sorry Guys. I think I see where the misunderstanding occurs. I guess I just took it for granted that longer screws would be used along with the plastic anchors. Should have been more specific.No way would I just use the screws that come with the hinges.I think I'm a little smarter than that.The original post said that they tried longer screws , so I guess I just lost my train of thought or maybe was thinking about it ; but , not writing it down.2 1/2 inches would be a good size as someone has suggested.

When I put things on tight, believe me they are tight and they will not pull out.Just yesterday,I repaired an exterior door that most people would say should have been replaced.It was in bad shape ; but,it works good now.So my apology to all, should have been more specific.Don't want to prolong this now,God Bless.
Old 05-09-2008, 08:35 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekctermite View Post
Don't be offended Jim, your suggestion is one that most of us just wouldn't have thought of. I wouldn't consider it the best way to actually FIX the problem, although it is probably a good solution in a lot of cases.
Ingenuity like that is great for this site and the people that vistit it!

I've been doing this sort of thing for years as well, and it goes to show you as soon as you think you've seen every way to do something, another good idea comes along.

Would I pay someone to repair my door that way? Nope. Would I suggest it to a DIY-er to get them by for a while if they didn't have a very heavy door? Sure would, but wouldn't present it as a best-case way of doing it.

Long screws or a wood dowel (glued in and flush cut to the jamb's mortise) are permanent fixes, and should be the first options explored in my opinion.
I'll second that... I used to carry "golf tees" tap them in the hole, glue and slice. Hitting the frame with a monster screw and if ur good..... (screw can be adjusted or torqued to ensure not "messing up the reveal around the door" or rack).

Pro Color
Pro Color is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 03:14 PM   #11
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Rewards Points: 1,000

Well pro color, you just taught an old dog a new trick. Good one. I must thank you .Bob

buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote