Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-19-2008, 07:39 PM   #1

Share |

Tile backsplash

The backsplash in my kitchen is only 14 inches and my wife and I are trying to decide if we should use the 4 inch tiles and use 3 high with a very small piece on the top or just us the 12X12 sheet of "minature" tiles which can be cut to add the other two inches. What do you think would look better?

kjplourde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 05:40 AM   #2
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Tile backsplash

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjplourde View Post
The backsplash in my kitchen is only 14 inches and my wife and I are trying to decide if we should use the 4 inch tiles and use 3 high with a very small piece on the top or just us the 12X12 sheet of "minature" tiles which can be cut to add the other two inches. What do you think would look better?
My way of looking at it is being the back splash is so low at 14" by using the smaller tiles will make the back splash appear higher. I can,t recall when i did a kitchen with a 14" back splash. BOB

buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 07:19 AM   #3

Tile backsplash

Bob, That makes sense and helps us make our decision...thanks
kjplourde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 02:48 PM   #4
Licensed Contractor

Tile backsplash

Another idea is to use two courses of your 4" tile, an accent course of a complimentary or special order tile, topped by the third course of 4"ers.
Another idea is to run the smaller top tiles like a border, mitering the corners up and down and around cabinets, windows, etc., similar to a border on a floor, then fill in the field.
Or, take the difference between the top two course and split it, having two bottom course of full 4"ers, the top two courses be the narrower tiles.
Your imagination is all that limits your creativity. (I like that, I'll have to use it in my next book.)
My one reservation with using smaller tiles, is that there will be many more grout lines to either get dirty, or to collect dirt/grease. A lot more cleaning, imo.
Renovator,LLC is offline   Reply With Quote