Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-16-2012, 11:13 AM   #1

Share |

tighten banister

I don't know if this would be the correct section to post this but I'm wondering if anyone knows how to tighten down a banister pole at the bottom. I only see one exposed screw on the front and it is secure. I included a few pictures. If anyone has any ideas please let me know. Thanks

Zach

mckain87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:14 AM   #2

tighten banister

Here are a few pics of it.

Name:  ForumRunner_20121116_121339.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  33.1 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20121116_121351.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  27.2 KB

Old 11-16-2012, 11:43 AM   #3
STAFF

tighten banister

Is the post only, moving or is the whole thing moving? From the looks of the picture the paint doesn't look like it is cracked where the post connects to the angled wall.

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 11:55 AM   #4

tighten banister

It is just the post portion that is wobbling. Everything else is sturdy.
Old 11-17-2012, 01:01 PM   #5

tighten banister

Wrong way to have done it but I see what looks like 6 wood plugs that would be covering up some screws at the base of the post.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (11-17-2012)
Old 11-17-2012, 01:08 PM   #6
STAFF

tighten banister

If it is just the post, pop the caps and inject glue behind the post then use longer screws, or lags.

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 01:33 PM   #7
Retired from the grind

tighten banister

Those plugs should have been sanded down before painting. Also, it appears to be over spray on the carpet.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 02:13 PM   #8

tighten banister

Yeah..they did a good job. Thanks for noticing
Old 11-17-2012, 02:37 PM   #9
Retired from the grind

tighten banister

The pleasure of old homes is that when you get everything fixed, and cleaned up, the significant other wants to get another project house, and you start all over again. I plan on being in ours for the next 25 years, until the wife and I retire.

The other day my 16y/o asked what is next after the Kitchen. Told him insulation in the walls, then redo the old aluminum siding on the outside, and then the basement, then expand into the upstairs if we decide to add two bedrooms up there, and expand the living room into our bedroom.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:03 PM   #10

tighten banister

Hi,on the loose newel post being it has been painted,if you are interested I would drill 2 holes in between the screws,space them out for appearance 1 above the other.This how and I the stair manufacturer suggest to install it.A 1" countersunk hole deep enough to conceal a lag screw and washer.Also drill a hole thru the remainder of the 1" hole into the framing behind this post with a bit 1 size smaller than the lag size diameter.Place 1" hole plugs with just enough glue to hold it in place, Then sand the 2 plugs and the original plugs flush with random orbit or whatever u use for heavier sanding down to smooth.

Sometimes extra if more is needed and reachable is to go up from underneath into at crawl space or basement,cut into subfloor as needed.
Sorry for rambling but if all that is holding this is the screws in front,longer or bigger screws won't fix it for good,only a matter of time before it will loosen.
One last thing if carpet is thick enough pull it back predrill and angle correct size screws so won't be visible when carpet is pushed back against it.

Bjkal is offline   Reply With Quote