Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-29-2006, 03:18 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75
Unhappy

Threshold problem from bedroom to patio

I have a door from the bedroom to the patio. The framer framed the door in with the threshold, as is. I guess some people put a small height of wood under the threshold in order to raise it some to accommodate carpet. I didn't know about this little trick of the trade. It looks like the door will sweep across the carpet, rubbing it. It has been suggested that I put a small area of tile by the door. I guess my threshold is 1 inch, instead of the minimum of 1 1/4 inch, in height.

A tile area by the door in a bedroom just doesn't seem right. I went to a few houses for sale that have a bedroom door to the patio and they all have carpet up to the door.

The house I am building is near completion and has the finish coat of Sto on the outside. The door is by Pella and is metal with a full glass pane. (I don't know if these details make a difference.) How hard is it to raise the threshold toward the end of a building project? I noticed one of the homes I visited had a piece of wood screwed down across the back of the threshold towards the back. The piece of wood was on top of the threshold. I'm assuming this threshold was too low???

Carpenters,
Have you ever had this problem? How would you deal with it? If I am able to correct the threshold problem, how hard will it be to deal with correcting the metal door? It will need to be adjusted to deal with the higher threshold.

As always, I appreciate any suggestions!

Not Sure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 07:00 AM   #2
Master Craftsman

Rewards Points: 250

This is a very common problem. I see it way too often. It is a big deal to raise the door. The tile idea is a good one but if it is not what you want then don't do it. I would talk to your builder and see what he has to say. More than likely he will try to get you to live with it which is what I would probably do. Framers don't know what the floor covering will be and frankly don't care. The builder should have been responsible for raising the door to allow for an extra thick floor covering. On a typical house the doors are not raised for carpet but they are for tile and hardwood especially because once you put a rug down you want the door to clear it and not drag it.

I say leave it alone. I don't think you will use that door as often as you think.

Just my opinion, Dave.

Old 10-29-2006, 07:56 AM   #3
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

It may be possible to raise the door.

...only if there is space between the door's header jam and the the door opening's framed header.

'Someone'...would have to remove the casing above the door to see if there is room to raise it. Then remove all the casing around the door.
Cut the nails holding the door jams using a recipricating saw.
...and remove the entire door to:

re-install with it raised slightly.
New casing would have to be installed to accommodate the raised height...

but, as Big Dave said, 'someone' will most likely try to talk you out of it...and to live with it....
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 09:32 AM   #4

It's my first house out. (Long story about how this came to be. I don't want to bore anyone.) Maybe my last!

When you say "leave it" you mean to just let the door stay as is, put the carpet in, and don't worry if the door drags the carpet a bit?

Here's the twist. If the house were for me, I wouldn't care. But, the house will be a house for sale. I'm thinking the buyers will want nothing less than perfection. Am I wrong? I have to warranty the house... I'm thinking this problem will be a call back.

Can I have someone take a little saw, saw off a bit of the jam side, raise the threshold a bit. Slide a small, flat section of wood under it? Then, remove the METAL door from the jam, shave off a bit of the bottom, reseal it somehow and put it back on the jam. We're talking about a quarter of an inch to 3/8th of an inch.

Let me know what you think?
Old 10-29-2006, 10:12 AM   #5
Master Craftsman

Rewards Points: 250

Is the carpet in now? Dp you know for sure that it will drag. If the house is for resale I don't think that a potential customer will be that anal, if they are don't sell to them because they will cause you alot more trouble down the road. Raising the door is going to be a major headache and any modifications to the door will void any warranty.
Old 10-29-2006, 04:44 PM   #6

No, the carpet isn't in yet. I was just being warned by my trim carpenter of the problem. My trim carpenter put my floor tile down for me. He's kind-of like a Jack-of-all-trades. I have enough tile left from the rest of the house to put in the little square area by the door. Who knows? Maybe the door won't rub on the carpet too badly.

This is what I think I'll tell my trim carpenter...
I'll put the carpet in. If the door drags a little, I let it go. If the door drags a lot, I'll pay him to come in and put the little square area of tile in and then, pay the carpet guys to come back and reattach the carpet to the tiled area. Yes, this could be an expensive little venture. I'm just going to keep my fingers crossed the door won't drag too badly across the carpet.

BigDave, Thanks for getting back with me concerning my problem!
Thank you, too, AtlanticWBConst. for your response!
YOU BOTH have helped a lot!

P.S. I'm glad that it's a common problem. I don't feel like such a newbie. If I do end up building another house, I'll know better (for a lot of stuff)!
Old 10-29-2006, 09:42 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 10

What about installing a shorter berber carpet in the room?
RickT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 05:04 AM   #8

Smile

I have been carpet shopping and I'm looking for a "not so fluffy" carpet. I just don't like berber carpet, unless it's a cut berber. I guess I'm pretty picky! Berber is kind-of going out-of-style in this area. Especially in the more expensive homes.

I'm hoping I can find a carpet that will work. That's my first choice. If my first choice is a bust, I guess that's when I'll have the tile section put in.

I appreciate your response, Rick T. Thank you for taking the time to read and post on my thread! Your solution is a good one! I'm just difficult.
Old 10-30-2006, 10:07 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 10

I wrote the book on being picky. That's one of the reasons it takes me so long to complete a project. I've been trying to be less particular, especially after talking with Jim Heavey from Wood Magazine last Februrary at the Milwaukee Woodworking Show. Jim said, "Woodworkers are often the kind of people who will keeping working to improve something until they finally ruin it." Let us know how the door and carpet work out.
RickT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 08:47 PM   #10

The carpet is going in on Friday. I'll let you know. Thanks for wanting to be informed. Cool!
Old 11-07-2006, 06:59 PM   #11

The short carpet worked! And, it looks nice! I'm glad my trim carpenter told me about the problem before I bought my carpet. Again, thank you for your interest!
Old 11-07-2006, 07:16 PM   #12
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Sure View Post
The short carpet worked! And, it looks nice! I'm glad my trim carpenter told me about the problem before I bought my carpet. Again, thank you for your interest!
Glad things worked out for you with minimal fuss.

AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote