Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-27-2012, 08:30 PM   #1

Share |

Are there any write ups on coffered ceilings?

Related to an old thread I made, I am interested in making a coffered ceiling. It is in a segregated part of the house, and I have all the time in the world. Realistically I could take months to build this. So I want to take my time and make it very nice.

If anyone knows of a write up or anything I would really appreciate a link.

If not, from everything I have found on the web seems pretty strait forward.

Thanks guys

-Dave

Lavid2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 09:07 PM   #2
journeyman carpenter

finehomebuilding magazine did an article on just this mid last year. goes into how to go about anchoring it to the ceiling. how to lay out and proportions what not.

you can check their website. www.finehomebuilding.com do a search a very brief description of the article will come up unless you subscribe to their online services.. premium members can read most of the articles from previous issues . they use to offer buying old issues also but not sure if they still do it

woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 08:46 AM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Some years ago I lucked out and found one of the first editions of "Architectural Graphic Standards" which included all kinds of details for old moldings, trims, and so forth. I use it all the time. You might try ABE Books and see if something pops up. Any book with carpentry and cabinetry details from days gone by would be helpful.

Obviously your first step should be to scale everything out accurately and do your layout.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:17 PM   #4

One of the biggest headaches (and backaches) of doing a coffered ceiling is the amount of time working over your head and all the up and down the ladder time. Consider doing this...I bought a pile of collapsable sawhorse metal frames and made a batch of sawhorse legs tall enough so when I would stand on the top of the sawhorse my head would be about 1 foot below the ceiling. Adjust this to your preference. Then I bought 2 x 4's long enough to go across the room. These formed the top of my sawhorses. I put about 4 horses along a 16' 2 x 4. I put these in rows and set up a plywood stage on them. Don't skimp on the design. Once you have this platform, you can set up your miter saw and maybe other tools on it, as the job requires and never have to climb a step, except to climb off the stage. You can't believe how much time and effort this saved.
MNsawyergp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 08:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNsawyergp View Post
One of the biggest headaches (and backaches) of doing a coffered ceiling is the amount of time working over your head and all the up and down the ladder time. Consider doing this...I bought a pile of collapsable sawhorse metal frames and made a batch of sawhorse legs tall enough so when I would stand on the top of the sawhorse my head would be about 1 foot below the ceiling. Adjust this to your preference. Then I bought 2 x 4's long enough to go across the room. These formed the top of my sawhorses. I put about 4 horses along a 16' 2 x 4. I put these in rows and set up a plywood stage on them. Don't skimp on the design. Once you have this platform, you can set up your miter saw and maybe other tools on it, as the job requires and never have to climb a step, except to climb off the stage. You can't believe how much time and effort this saved.
Very good tip. But my ceiling is in a basement, The ceiling is about 2 feet over head already

I have a question with this ceiling though. My ceiling isn't level. It has sagged quite a bit and is sloped to the right. It deviates about 2" from side to side. I know how i can level my beams for the ceiling, and if the beams are level my crown molding squares will be level, but how am I supposed to get the drywall level? It seems absurd to shim drywall so it sits flush with the crown. Can I just not attach the drywall to the ceiling, and install it when I install the crown so it sits on top of it like a ceiling tile sits in its frame?

Ideas? I can sketch my idea if this is confusing.

-Dave
Old 02-01-2012, 05:09 PM   #6

I have shimmed out my share of ceilings...what a nightmare! I used fishing line after the perimeter was leveled on each joist as a guide. I have a divider box that has bins of different thickness shims. I go along with a 1/4" crown stapler and slip in the right combo of shims and staple them in. Just make sure you use long enough sheetrock screws to anchor well in the main framing. I don't think you want to hang sheet rock from your crown. The middle will sag just for starters and there may be lots of other problems. One concern I have...If your ceiling has already sagged that much, are you sure you want to add hundreds more pounds to the load? Even if you shim the ceiling perfect, the load will probably make the ceiling sag more.
MNsawyergp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 05:56 PM   #7
journeyman carpenter

if your ceiling is in rough shape now. i would take the extra time and strip the ceiling bare then shim the strapping so you can create level, also when you do this you can install proper backing for the coffered ceiling
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 08:41 PM   #8

It's in a basement. So my ceiling is actually made out of floor joists. It has sagged in between the headers over the years. It is a small room, so I am not concerned about the weight of the coffered ceiling pulling down any more, as the bathrooms and floor above have done their part, and I feel the hundred or two hundred pounds of molding will be negligible.

That fishing line idea is a great one! I will do that for sure, then stuck the drywall to that, then make coffered frame and crown.

Edit" also, the ceiling is gone, we are looking at bare joists. Not a ceiling in rough shape.
Old 02-07-2012, 04:39 AM   #9

To level the ceiling don't shim out the ceiling joists you'll be there forever and get stressed.

Instead, nail timbers straight onto the sides of the ceiling joists, obviously flush with the bottom of a low joist at one end then level away from there.

So I'd start at one end of the room (lowest spot) and nail a joist on level. Then fix another as far away from it as I can reach with a level. Then put a string line/straight edge on to make fixing those in between quicker.

You don't need to use timber as strong as the joists it's just to hold the ceiling.
Chippy21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 10:08 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chippy21 View Post
To level the ceiling don't shim out the ceiling joists you'll be there forever and get stressed.

Instead, nail timbers straight onto the sides of the ceiling joists, obviously flush with the bottom of a low joist at one end then level away from there.

So I'd start at one end of the room (lowest spot) and nail a joist on level. Then fix another as far away from it as I can reach with a level. Then put a string line/straight edge on to make fixing those in between quicker.

You don't need to use timber as strong as the joists it's just to hold the ceiling.
Good idea! I'll definitely use this idea.