Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-09-2009, 04:08 PM   #1

Share |

Terminating crown at stairwell

I'm planning to do some renos in our place in a few months that includes adding about 150 ft. of crown mouldings. This would be my first attempt at crowns but I've read a lot of how-to's which has given me the confidence to tackle the job. I have read that cutting crown in position is the way to go since it minimizes disorientation with saw cuts so I just bought a Hitachi 12" double bevel CMS that has a high fence in preparation for the job. I also bought a digital angle finder to get an accurate reading of the corners. The molding will be MDF so I figure any newbie mistakes can be easily hidden with filler/caulk…

I stumbled upon this great website which has been a wealth of information to prep me for the task that lies ahead. I'm looking for some advice on how to best terminate the crown where the wall meets the stairwell. As can be seen in the photos, wall B is triangular-shaped and wall C on the opposite side of the stairwell also has a small triangle. For wall B, I'm thinking that the crown needs to terminate with a return just before the bottom of the crown touches the bottom of the stairwell, leaving a small triangle at the end crownless, but my wife ways that won't look right. For wall C, I think the only two choices are either to install a short section with returns on both sides, or do nothing.

Any opinions?

Looking forward to hearing from others that have a lot more experience than I.

Renomeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 05:20 PM   #2
Drywall contractor

Might be easier to just terminate the crown at the square corner and stay away from the "off" angles. I've run a fair bit of crown, but never encountered your situation (or remember seeing crown that HAS been run in that scenario). I'm sure it CAN be done somehow, but it would be a pretty tricky compound miter....

Old 11-09-2009, 07:36 PM   #3

There are a couple of options. You can terminate the crown into the wall of the staircase, you can do a return right as the bottom of the crown meets the bottom of the staircase, or you can cut the crown to match the angle of the staircase and the cut a wood block to fill in the void behind the crown along the angle. I would recommend you do a mock up of your options and have your wife decide which she likes the best. I have personally used all three methods for different clients.
RobQuillin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 10:43 PM   #4
Cabinet maker

The easy thing to do is stop the crown in the corner and nothing for C.

The clever way to handle it is to run the crown across those angles.

With a ripping of solid stock that has a bevel to match the angle or the ceiling on one side and a square edge on the other. You create a very small soffit or level spot. The vertical square edge gives you a small "wall" surface to mount the bottom of the crown.

Position the ripping at the same elevation as the bottom line of the crown. And make it just as small as you can by having the short point of the bevel and the top of the square edge meet if that is possible.

I would mock that up and let the boss give you the green light or not.
Augie Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 01:52 AM   #5

Thank you all for your input. Some very good suggestions.

RobQuillin: I like the idea of angling the crown to match the stairwell and then plugging with a piece of wood, but is it possible to do this cut with the crown in position or do I need to lay it flat and do a compound cut? The stairwell angle is 38 degrees and the moulding we are leaning towards is likely going to have a 45 degree spring angle.

Augie Dog: I agree, the easy way is to stop at the wall, but this kind of suggests that the carpenter didn't have the skill or patience to deal with the problem. Although this is for the most part true, I would rather have people THINK I am clever… I'm a visual learner and don't quite follow everything that you are saying at the moment, but I believe you are thinking along the same lines as RobQillin and the end result is for the end of the crown to be flat at the stair angle, right?

I do think it’s a good idea to do some mock-ups for the three options and let the boss decide, but I'm pretty sure she'll side with the most complicated option… At least we're only talking about a foot and a half of crown so any mistakes are pretty cheap.
Old 11-10-2009, 06:36 AM   #6

If you know the angle of the stairs then just lay your crown with the bottom laying against the bottom of the miter saw and the top edge against the upright in the back. Set the angle of the stairs (38 degrees) and cut it. once you do that hold it up against the stairs and see how the fit is, if it is off then just adjust the angle and do it again.

The technique that the other person suggested is to run the crown all the way around the stairwell. I didin't think of this techniques until I read his post and realized it was a good idea too. I have done this technique too in the past. If you rip a piece of wood with a 38 degree bevel to match the angle of the stairs then you can run that along the back side of the stairs to create a surface that you could nail the bottom of the crown to. This way you can just make a 90 degree corner around the stairs and have teh crown continue on uninterupted through the entire room. This technique is something I would seriously consider too.

Goo luck and have fun
RobQuillin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 10:21 AM   #7
Cabinet maker

Pictures are worth a thousand words.

Terminating crown at stairwell-crown.jpg

If you matched the texture of the ceiling on the added piece it would blend in nice. But you play with it and see if it works for you.
Augie Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 01:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobQuillin View Post
If you know the angle of the stairs then just lay your crown with the bottom laying against the bottom of the miter saw and the top edge against the upright in the back. Set the angle of the stairs (38 degrees) and cut it. once you do that hold it up against the stairs and see how the fit is, if it is off then just adjust the angle and do it again.
After I posted my message last night, the solution actually came to me while I was taking a shower - lay the crown face up and cut a 38 degree miter with no bevel. The cut end of the crown will then be on the same plane as the stairwell so when I add the plug, everything will be flush. Thanks for your input, and for helping to clearly explain Augie Dog's solution.

Augie Dog: Your diagram clears everything up. Having the crown run across the stairwell is a great idea that I never thought of. Adding ceiling texture to the piece would definitely be a good finishing touch.

Its now up to the Boss to decide which is best. I'll post photos of the finished project when I get to this job next February.

Great forum. Thanks again!