Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-29-2006, 10:57 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Send a message via AIM to Shipwash
Question

Tape & Float Drywall Price

How do I figure how much to pay someone to tape and float my drywall that is already on the walls and ceiling?

Shipwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 12:20 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 506

Probably more than you would have paid them to hang, tape and mud it. Problem is, if YOU hang it and ask them to finish it, they don't know what they're getting into. You could have bad joints, offsets, butt joints over studs instead of floated...I'm not saying you do have, but they just don't know. If THEY hang it though, it will be done with the finishing foremost in their mind because, well, that's what they get to do tomorrow, and they want to do it as fast as possible and still have a good finished product.

But to answer your question...how do you figure how much to pay them....well..whatever amount is on the bill of course. It's not up to you to "figure out" what they should be paid, they'll do that and let you know by way of an estimate.

jproffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 09:44 AM   #3

As for the pricing, I always get a minimum of three quotes to establish pricing, then try to find out about the reliability of the low bidder. Often it turns out the middle price is a safe choice.

Having just finished hanging drywall for the first time in my home office, I was curious as to why not have butt joints on studs? None of the info I got online mentioned floating them, and they were a pain in the rear. Does floating them make them easier to finish?
gkmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 11:04 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 25

I had the same question, I always thought you should have the butt joints over studs for support. Do you do this just for cut joints or for factory edges too? I know it is alway a pain to finish the edges if I screw the board too close to the edge, I guess floating the edges would get rid of thet problem.
ERIK2173 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 11:43 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 506

Butt joints should be floated to make for easier finishing. I have hit the ONE stud that was twisted just a little, or out of line by just a little, one too many times and it is a ROYAL PITA. If the stud is twisted, one half of the joint will be higher than the other. If the stud is straight but out of line, the pieces align BUT they approach the stud at a slight angle, which makes them hard to feather out smooth.

As far as supporting the joint: When I say floated I don't mean just hanging out there in the middle of nowhere..at least not alone. A floated joint is backed by a 4 or 5 inch strip of plywood (which, BTW, extends beyond the top edge to the peice above it), and that plywood floats in the stud cavity and (by the rule of "least resistance") it will go where it's most "comfortable"... I.E.-straight in line with the studs on either side.
jproffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 08:23 AM   #6

help on pricing
gdgndrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 10:11 AM   #7
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdgndrg View Post
help on pricing
Help on your post.

?huh?
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 11:01 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlanticWBConst. View Post
Help on your post.

?huh?
i would like to know what it would cost to hang only, tape only, mud and sand only, 1100 sq ft. the framing is ready to be hung, celing is allready done, walls only.
glenn
Old 03-27-2008, 11:07 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,124

No one can tell you guys what someone else is going to charge you on a job we can't see. Call your local drywall guys and ask them for a bid.
jogr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 11:18 AM   #10

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by jogr View Post
No one can tell you guys what someone else is going to charge you on a job we can't see. Call your local drywall guys and ask them for a bid.
This is not rocket science, there is nothing to do except hang, tape, mud and sand. 1100 square ft. i am not asking for a definite price, i just want to get an ideal of the ball park what to expect????????
Old 03-27-2008, 11:27 AM   #11

Around here its about $20.00 per sheet of sheetrock hung for tape & texture. Maybe a little more if you have rounded corners and arches. To hang, tape & texture around $42.00 to $50.00 a sheet.
Sftail2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 11:37 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 1,124

Quote:
This is not rocket science, there is nothing to do except hang, tape, mud and sand. 1100 square ft. i am not asking for a definite price, i just want to get an ideal of the ball park what to expect????????
Picking up a phone to call a drywall guy ain't rocket science either. There are huge regional differences, job differences and business practice differences that will affect what your guy will charge you.

I'm trying to help you, pick up the darn phone and call some local drywall guys. If you have the framing ready already you need to be lining up the drywall work right now anyway.
jogr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 11:45 AM   #13
I blame ProWallGuy

Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Expect a price somewhere between a new TV and good used truck. You might ask if there is a discount for impatience, and a keen ability to discern the difference between remodel construction and applied physics.

Last edited by Double A; 03-27-2008 at 11:47 AM.
Double A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 12:27 PM   #14

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sftail2 View Post
Around here its about $20.00 per sheet of sheetrock hung for tape & texture. Maybe a little more if you have rounded corners and arches. To hang, tape & texture around $42.00 to $50.00 a sheet.
Thank you very much, you have been most helpful, more than i can say for some on here. You have a wonderful day.
glenn
Old 03-27-2008, 12:32 PM   #15
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

Just realize that the price given to you was regional. For all you know, that could be Canadian Dollars.

I have to run out, otherwise I'd offer some more information to help you. Feel free to PM me, if you want. (there are many factors that will affect drywall pricing)

AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote