Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-22-2008, 04:19 PM   #1

Share |
Smile

Take down drywall on bedroom ceiling to add height

If I take the drywall down in the bedroom ceiling, I'll be left w/ most likely 2x8 joists. The attic is above. Can I put drywall on top of the joist from the attic and do something simple to give height to the ceiling. This would leave the 2x8 exposed, maybe whitewash them or something. Is this a bad idea?
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks

clkad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 04:43 PM   #2
Building and plumbing

Me?
I would not use drywall as you will not be able to walk on it in the attic because the moment you step between the joists, you will fall through. Maybe not you, but your spouse, children, friend, or worse, your potential buyer if you forget about it when you sell it. Use 3/4 plywood with one side finished (Smooth) and then treat the underside (Ceiling) however you want (Stain, paint, or what ever) at least you can walk around upstairs still.

USP45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 05:01 PM   #3

Good call, Thanks, do you think the joists will look silly? have you seen that done before?
Old 03-22-2008, 05:04 PM   #4
Building and plumbing

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkad View Post
Good call, Thanks, do you think the joists will look silly? have you seen that done before?
No it should not. I have seen this done many times before and is quite common in older homes.
USP45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 05:06 PM   #5

Great, thanks for the advice. It was very helpful
Old 03-22-2008, 07:16 PM   #6
Remodeler

You can also do as you planned put drywall on top and then a layer of plywood over it for the walking surface. It will look nicer seeing drywall between the floor joists from the underside in the bedroom. Just be very careful when installing the drywall.
One Man Shops
MinConst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 08:49 PM   #7
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Whatever you decide to do, please take before pictures and after pictures and let us see your creativity...(sounds interesting)...
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 08:52 PM   #8

Oh thats a good idea as well. I will try that. I will take pictures and show before and afters when I do it. thanks everyone.
Old 03-22-2008, 10:25 PM   #9
CT Builder

IMO this is a bad idea. You will only gain the thickness of existing drywall in head height.

How will you insulate the ceiling in the room??

Another consideration would be the electrical, if any, will now be exposed from the bedroom side, and would be counted as an eyesore IMO.

Do you have any bathrooms as adjacent rooms? Perhaps the vent pipe might run through one or a couple of the bays.

Check in the attic first to find out if any of the above mentioned are visible BEFORE you start to rip apart your bedroom?

I donít mean to rain on your parade, just pointing out some points of interest.

Regards,

Daryl
Daryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 06:31 AM   #10

Question

There is a bathroom next door. The attic is huge, it can be a room, but its only accessible from outside. I figure after laying the drywall and plywood down, we would just roll out insulation on top of that. does the make sense?
Old 03-23-2008, 12:04 PM   #11

Drywall covers a mutitude of sins,,,IF I was potential next owner of YOUR home I would 'walk-on -by'. YES I think it sounds silly, nonpractical and non cost effiecent. YOU may like it for a little while,,,till you have to 'clean' up there!! Chances are there ARE electrical wires,furnace ducts, and other stuff like 'blocking' that may detract more than THIS adds,,even IF you think its great!! better off to go BUILD a house and make some spectacular features in it, like 20 ' tall ceilings(been there done that)(and it SUCKED when heating is an issue!!). It was catherdral beamed ceiling in a living room,,,2 floors plus attic area up to beams,,,GUESS who had to crawl up there and clean cobwebs off???

justdon is offline   Reply With Quote