DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Carpentry (http://www.diychatroom.com/f14/)
-   -   Support for countertop (http://www.diychatroom.com/f14/support-countertop-175388/)

Mstrlucky74 03-24-2013 11:25 AM

Support for countertop
 
2 Attachment(s)
We removed (2) columns(not load bearing) that helped support this kitchen counter. There is still one column but the counter is not not sturdy. It moves a lot where those vertical 2x4's are attached to the bottom 2x4 on the floor. We are getting a new counter top but is there a system/design to support a counter like this underneath? Do the 2x4's need to be crossed? Thanks.

joecaption 03-24-2013 11:34 AM

You can not balance a counter top on a single row of 2 X 4's like that.
Also there's not even a bottom plate, all that needs to go.
Not going to have cabinets under it?
If not your going to have to build two new knee walls to support the top.

Mstrlucky74 03-24-2013 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joecaption (Post 1144581)
You can not balance a counter top on a single row of 2 X 4's like that.
Also there's not even a bottom plate, all that needs to go.
Not going to have cabinets under it?
If not your going to have to build two new knee walls to support the top.

As always,,thanks. Isn't the bottom(horizontal 2x4) a bottom plate? if not, what is a bottom plate? Thanks.

Fix'n it 03-24-2013 12:28 PM

perhaps a angled 2x4 will steady it. but from the pics, its hard to tell what is there = too much stuff on the counter and pics taken too close.

joecaption 03-24-2013 12:37 PM

The bottom plate may just be buryed under all the layers of flooring.
Even if there is a plate a single skinny wall like that's not going to work.

jagans 03-24-2013 12:50 PM

2 Attachment(s)
You need to build another knee wall on the floor about a foot from this one and install X bracing or a couple of corner braces (The bigger the better) between plates and studs. Attach corner brackets with no 14 x 1.5 inch HWH screws.

Mstrlucky74 03-24-2013 07:06 PM

2 Attachment(s)
The baseboard poses a problem. If I build another knee wall then I have to move the baseboard further out which kind of interferes with the space. Thanks.

Fix'n it 03-24-2013 07:49 PM

i think i could make it work. but those pics are still not good enough (too close)to see just what is going on there.

Mstrlucky74 03-24-2013 08:11 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Hope these help....trying.

Fix'n it 03-24-2013 08:49 PM

would it be ok to make that 1/2 wall thicker ? say, 3" more.

is it centered under the counter top ?

mj12 03-24-2013 09:22 PM

staggered blocking between the studs and sheet it with 1/4 plywood. Any questions refer to post # 2. Especially the part about the single wall

Mstrlucky74 03-24-2013 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mj12 (Post 1145004)
staggered blocking between the studs and sheet it with 1/4 plywood. Any questions refer to post # 2. Especially the part about the single wall

So are you saying the staggered blocking is for the SINGLE WALL? Thanks.

jagans 03-24-2013 09:57 PM

Not to make you feel bad, but there is not much there worth saving. You may want to re-think your approach.

Mstrlucky74 03-25-2013 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jagans (Post 1145050)
Not to make you feel bad, but there is not much there worth saving. You may want to re-think your approach.

I understand and agree. thanks. Just want to try and build one wall with supports and not have to move the baseboards.

Mstrlucky74 03-26-2013 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fix'n it (Post 1144977)
would it be ok to make that 1/2 wall thicker ? say, 3" more.

is it centered under the counter top ?

Sorry Fix. I think we could.....why? Its not centered. I assume centering it would provide better stability.?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:51 PM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved