Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-05-2009, 08:51 AM   #1

Share |

Support for 5ft bookcase shelves

Any suggestions on how to keep a 5ft long 3/4 oak plywood shelf from sagging over time? They will be about 16" deep. I plan on using a 3/4" router groove on sides. Also screwing into shelves thru a 1/2" plywood back.
I thought about using a solid wood face that would over hang shelf face underneath & then attaching a piece of angle steel or alum. to the face & under shelves. The face would hide the steel. I would rather not use a pillar or center support if I can avoid it. The shelves would have to support some stereo components & cd's etc. Nothing heavier than that. No books.

Thanks for any suggestions.

dbldee20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 08:59 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbldee20 View Post
Any suggestions on how to keep a 5ft long 3/4 oak plywood shelf from sagging over time? They will be about 16" deep. I plan on using a 3/4" router groove on sides. Also screwing into shelves thru a 1/2" plywood back.
I thought about using a solid wood face that would over hang shelf face underneath & then attaching a piece of angle steel or alum. to the face & under shelves. The face would hide the steel. I would rather not use a pillar or center support if I can avoid it. The shelves would have to support some stereo components & cd's etc. Nothing heavier than that. No books.

Thanks for any suggestions.
I think you'll have to use the angle iron if you don't want a divider.

You can enter the dimensions and materials at the web site below to see, but a fixed shelf that wide, even with a 1x2 red oak facing, will likely sag too much.

http://www.woodbin.com/calcs/sagulator.htm

http://www.woodbin.com/calcs/sagulator.htm

justin2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 04:24 AM   #3

Maybe double the shelves up to 1 1/2". Remodeled a house with around 4' wide bookshelves that were doubled up and they were still really straight. But again the largest was only about 4 foot. I guess it also depends on what you might be putting on them.
sausagefingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 06:21 AM   #4

Maybe something like this?
http://www.hangmanstore.com/Hangman-...s-p/sst-48.htm
http://www.hangmanstore.com/Hangman-...p/hdsst-48.htm

If not, I would just put the hardwood face on the shelf with biscuits or pocket screws.
jerryh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 06:32 AM   #5

You could use solid 1-1/8" stair tread material for the shelves. This should be fine for electrical components.
Old 01-07-2009, 08:06 AM   #6

Thanks for the info. I have decided to add some pullouts for cd storage, which will require a center wall.

dbldee20 is offline   Reply With Quote