Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-29-2013, 06:11 PM   #1

Share |

Sunken bathroom problem

Property I just purchased has a Master bedroom with a very small master bathroom that is about 6 inches lower than the bedroom.

How weird would it be to raise the floor where the toilet is level with the bedroom without raising the tub? In other words build the floor 6 inches from the bottom of the tub....therefore the tub would be slightly sunken.

Right now it just doesn't look right but I didn't want to rip out the tub or screw with the plumbing....other than adding a 6 inch extension to the toilet sewer.

Drhoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:17 PM   #2

Sunken bathroom problem

why do you want to raise the toilet? if bathroom is lower how would you get onto the toilet with it now being 6" higher than normal? maybe I'm not following ....

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:32 PM   #3

Sunken bathroom problem

if i am understanding you want to make floor all one level by raising bathroom floor up to the same height as bedroom. when i lived in Michigan i ran across some houses built by a builder who always sunk the bathtub down in floor so there was only a 6 inch skirt. it looked odd but never had the owners of these houses ask about lifting tub back up to full skirt height when remodeling bathrooms
jaydevries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:22 PM   #4

Sunken bathroom problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydevries View Post
if i am understanding you want to make floor all one level by raising bathroom floor up to the same height as bedroom. when i lived in Michigan i ran across some houses built by a builder who always sunk the bathtub down in floor so there was only a 6 inch skirt. it looked odd but never had the owners of these houses ask about lifting tub back up to full skirt height when remodeling bathrooms

Exactly, I want the bathroom floor to be level with the bedroom. It is currently a bit of a trip hazard and looks odd as well. I just didn't want to raise the floor if having a partially sunken tub would be worse. Sounds like you've seen them this way and it is fairly acceptable?
Drhoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:39 PM   #5

Sunken bathroom problem

Something just not make sense.
If is 6" lower, I first need to question the builder and why?
You can always raise it, but you may find a surprise when you open the floor to see why they did it the way they did.

But yeah, taking the floor out and raising it, I would also raise the tub, you can re use the tub, but would not bury it in the floor.
Just move it while fixing the floor elevation issue .... but I would be looking closer to see why they did it this way in the first place, really could be nothing and just idiots building it ... or may be a actual reason for it.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:36 AM   #6

Sunken bathroom problem

That is odd never seen before and I'm a builder/carpenter in nj. Depends on how much u want to redo if u r going through trouble of raising floor except for tub try to think of how much money it is really going to save you if u don't redo whole room(and if it would just really bother u or not)
kaschmid3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:31 AM   #7
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Sunken bathroom problem

Do the ceiling heights match? If so, then you could raise the floor, but your still going to have to mess with plumbing to get your commode raised, and the vanity. If the ceilings are offset by the same 6 inches, then you'll want to consider that.

Sunken tubs were a rage at one time. As far as I know, sunken bathrooms ..........not so much.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:11 PM   #8

Sunken bathroom problem

Structural aside,
1. vanity supply and drain heights/ toilet supply height
2. outlet/switch heights
3. med cab height
4. window legal height
5. reframe door?

You also need new blocking in the stud bays for sheetrocks/tile boards.

You probably need to gut the bathroom.

carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote