Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-04-2014, 01:58 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 27

"Sub-floor" over basement cement floor?

Okay, I need some expert opinions... please!

I have a partially-finished basement, and I want to take it the rest of the way to maximize our living space. The walls are framed (in front of the cement foundation) and drywalled. The floor is what is holding me up.

In the eight years I have owned the home, twice I have had slight leakage due to "historic" rain events. We are talking 10-15 inches in just two days. I assume that the seepage is hydrostatic. It came in lightly along one wall and flowed slowly to the floor drain in the middle of my floor. No harm, no foul on the cement floor. The flow was as light as slowly pouring a cup of water onto the cement and it making it's way to the drain.

This spring, I am going to do a small surface water tile job to try to prevent anything like this in the future, but will not be able to do a proper tile job down at the footings. It would involve breaking out a lot of cement and would be way over budget.

I would like to finish the floor with something more cozy... including carpet on half. I have looked at Drycore, but have something else in mind. Could I put down 2x2s with washers screwed into the bottom (keeping the wood off of the cement) and then plywood over them to give me a "sub-floor" to carpet on? Thus, allowing any rare water event to freely run underneath to the drain. I would pop in a couple of floor vents on the perimeter to allow for air circulation and hopefully keep it dry and mold free under there.

I need as many thoughts and alternative suggestions as I can get from those who know.

Thank you very much for anything you can throw my way!

Koellert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 02:58 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 81

I don't have enough knowledge where I would feel comfortable to tell you yes or no on your plan. But I did use Dricore and it worked awesome if you go that route.

Jb1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 02:58 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

May I discourage you from such a project. You would be creating a prime area for rot and mold to grow because it would never be able to properly dry.

A perimeter drain system is a better choice. Ceramic tile and area carpet play well together.

If you must proceed the wood touching the cement needs to be treated lumber.
Colbyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 09:57 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Hey there, hope I can help. Carpenter of 10 years.

The 2x2's seem like it could work I guess but there are better options and less work.
Are you straying away from drycore because of cost? There is a better and cheaper option.
I use Platon with 5/8" tongue and groove osb over top. You can screw down the osb through the platon with 2" tapcons. Put a couple in every sheet of osb.
When you lay the Platon down, tape all of the seams with tuck tape.

This is the same idea as drycore.

And also, where I come from in Canada, you can't use treated lumber inside your house.
mcnic is offline   Reply With Quote