Stupid Question About A Brad Nailer? - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-21-2008, 02:41 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

stupid question about a brad nailer?

Hi, I've been reading through this site for a while now and have gotten a lot of useful information from it. I'm doing a lot of minor remodeling to my house, paint, window replacement, moulding, new cabinets in the kitchen stuff like that. I come from more of an auto mechanic, machinist background so a lot of the problems I come across are kind of new to me.

Anyway, my dumb question is whether or not it is ok to use a brad nailer as opposed to a finish nailer to install things like door jambs and base moldings. I have a house that was built in 1948 and most of the mouldings and jambs I have taken off were hand nailed with I guess the equivalent of modern day 15 gauge finish nails. I don't have a finish nailer but I do have a brad nailer that will go up to 2 and 1/8" is there really a drawback to using brads as opposed to finish or 15 gauge nails?

My house had a door on pretty much every opening into every room. I've taken a lot of the doors out. Things like doors from the dining room to the kitchen, the kitchen to the back porch, etc. I know the brad nails and some glue will hold pretty much anything I've use them on but I guess my question is to why a pro would use a finish nailer for such as opposed to a brad nailer? Would I actually be better off hand nailing new interior door jambs and base mouldings than using my brad nailer?

Thanks for any advice...

Advertisement

cyclonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 07:53 AM   #2
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Rewards Points: 1,000

I would not use the brad for your jamb installation. the heads are to small for the installation, the jambs will cup because the heads don't have enough surface to grab the wood. plus there not long enough. Just my 2 cents BOB

Advertisement

Last edited by buletbob; 08-21-2008 at 08:16 AM.
buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 07:59 AM   #3
Oldguy

Rewards Points: 250

A brad nailer will not have enough holding power for a door jamb. It will do OK on the trim.

ASE certified master auto tech, Retired.
Rehabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 08:39 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

Agreed. I occasionally install jamb stop, shoe molding, and other small pieces with a brad nailer, but never casing, crown, or base. A 2" brad just isn't long enough either...Not enough bite into the stud.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 10:56 PM   #5

Thanks for the replies. I guess I have an excuse to buy a new tool now. I did some quick looking on the net and found pretty good deal on a Snap-on 16 gauge finish nailer for $53, I guess it's a close out of some sort. Would a 16 suffice for jambs or would I be better off with a 15 gauge?
Old 08-21-2008, 11:29 PM   #6

I would stick with the 15g for doors.
fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 11:39 PM   #7

I have always used 16ga trim nailers with great success.
Old 08-21-2008, 11:53 PM   #8

Cool then I think I might go with that nailer then unless I can find a better deal on a 15. I could always hand nail the doors I do have a few hammers after all. Thanks again.
Old 08-22-2008, 08:02 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 622

Far be it from me to talk anyone out of buying a new tool, but I've rushed out and bought tools for a specific job only to find out a different size, brand or model was a better deal. Not necessarily cheaper, but it would offer more flexibility on future projects.

If this gun fits your needs get it, $53.00 is a great price. Just make sure that it takes standard nails.
Old 08-22-2008, 08:46 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 500

if you peel back that label on that snap on or compare model numbers you will most likely find it to be a black and decker they make alot of hand power tools for snap on and just relabel them
clasact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 02:29 PM   #11

47_47, Yeah I've done the same so nowadays I usually have to justify new tools to myself with some other future project excuses.

clasact, I spent a little time last night looking for any kind of information on Snap-on nailers and found they were made by Alltrade tools. I'm not positive but I believe they also make some of the cheap tools you find at Kragen and Walmart. It seemed like a good price but I don't think it comes with a case nor even an air fitting. I wasn't able to find any reviews on any Snap-on nailers so I decided to hold off buying it and will just keep my eye open for a good deal on a well known brand. Still have a bit of work to do before I put my base mouldings back on anyway.

Thanks for the replies.
Old 08-22-2008, 02:56 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 622

I have a few older SnapOn (Blue Point) pneumatic tools and they were made in the US. It is sad to learn that SnapOn is lowering its standards.
Old 08-22-2008, 03:36 PM   #13

I GUARANTEE that a nailer that costs $53 isn't made by Snap-On. Ever priced their tools??? They're probably branding low-end crud tools in this case. $53 won't get you a good nailgun unless it is used or on sale.

I have a Snap-On ratcheting screwdriver that cost twice that!
Old 08-22-2008, 03:37 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 500

just so yall know snap on hand tools and S&k tools come out of the same factory and off the same line at some point they seperate and one gets stamped blue point the other S&K but one sells for alot less and snap on has been doing this for years along with relabeling sanders nailers and many other imtems. have delivered to the plant and saw it going on just to let ya know
clasact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 03:55 PM   #15

I actually have a quite a few Snap-on and blue point hand tools, wrenches, ratchets, screw drivers, pullers and such. That is why I was kind of excited when I first found this nailer. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post a link but it was on amazon and on sale from a regular price of $168 so it looked like a good deal. Their other nailers go for prices similar to Senco or Porter Cable, Hitachi etc. but I can't find any reviews on any of them and I'm not sure I have much faith in Alltrade tools so... I think this might be a case where Craftsmen tools are actually better

Advertisement