Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-20-2006, 03:32 PM   #1

Share |

Stud Finder problem...

Hello all,
Recently I hung some new drapes in my house using metal brackets and a rod. I used drywall anchors and screws to attach each bracket and it has been about 6 months and I just noticed recently that the weight of the drapes seems to be pulling the anchors right out of the wall on both set of drapes I put up. Could it be junk anchors or flimsy drywall?

I originally wanted to screw directly into the stud but I have 2 stud finders that will not work where I live now. The place I live is a metal framed condo and also has textured walls. Could that affect the stud finder? Any other ways to find studs or suggestions for mounting some sturdy brackets?

Thanks!
Nick

ps- got to get this done soon too... I know that eventually everything will come crashing down in the middle of the night and scare the crap out of me!

kalaniwavo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 06:46 PM   #2
Electrical Contractor

Stud Finder problem...

A larage magnet will find the metal studs
Works for me everytime!

Old 02-20-2006, 08:54 PM   #3

Stud Finder problem...

Or butterflies....uhh...

these
Attached Images

jproffer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 08:33 PM   #4
Contractor

Stud Finder problem...

I sell and install window treatments. Hit wood where you can. Buy a good studfinder, about $35.00, and forget the 'studfinder' setting. I use 'deep studfinder' almost exclusively. There may well be nothing there, then shift to 50# screw in wall anchors for drywall. Most applications say no more than 32" between brackets. There is a whole plethora of special apps.
Teetorbilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 07:24 PM   #5

Stud Finder problem...

We have the exact same problem, metal studs in the condo walls.
We had the same issue with our drapes (though ours fell a month or two after the initial install -- 6 months sounds not too shabby!) until we used some serious heavy duty metal drywall anchors (although the ones we used didn't look like the "butterfly" type the other person posted the photo of, those look like a great idea, too). On the ones that we used the metal expanded directly into the surrounding drywall all along the length of the anchor & screw as the screw hit a latch toward the end of the anchor (signalling the anchor that the screw doesn't need to spin anymore, the anchor needs to start expanding outward). We got them in 3 packs at Home Depot, and they were about 3" long each. If all you used before were the cheap plastic anchors the drapery hardware comes with, you might be able to take tweezers and pull them out - the metal anchors are going to need a way-wider hole. Otherwise, just take your drill up about an inch and over at least a half an inch from your existing hole, and at least your drapery will cover up the little old holes you're about to patch with spackle.
Good luck from a similary frustrated homeowner!
AllyCat is offline   Reply With Quote