Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-05-2011, 01:45 PM   #1

Share |

Stripping Service?

No, not as interesting of topic as it sounds. Are there places you can take larger wood peices (shellaced doors in my case) to have them stripped? Not the meticulous (and I'm sure very expensive) kind of hand stripping you might get for antique furniture but something more industrial and cheap. I didn't find much in my google search but maybe I didn't know what to look for.

Ptron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 02:00 PM   #2
Contractor - Renovations

Stripping Service?

there are places that will actually dip the stuff into a tank.

not sure how you'd google it either, and most of these places probably wouldn't be online anyway.

best bet is to ask around with guys who do historical restoration work maybe. some guys will take old doors to places like that.

fungku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 06:47 PM   #3

Stripping Service?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fungku View Post
there are places that will actually dip the stuff into a tank.

not sure how you'd google it either, and most of these places probably wouldn't be online anyway.

best bet is to ask around with guys who do historical restoration work maybe. some guys will take old doors to places like that.
Don't worry about the "stripping" search, I'll do it. I'll get back to you with the results.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron6519 For This Useful Post:
fungku (02-05-2011)
Old 02-05-2011, 07:02 PM   #4
Contractor - Renovations

Stripping Service?

I've been working on editing some video tutorials and hit a few snags. Thought I could find lots of advice online so I did a google search for "home made videos"...

a new lesson "think before you search"
Old 02-05-2011, 07:09 PM   #5
DIY staff

Stripping Service?

Put your location into your profile----you need a shop but we don't know where---

There are strippers---many went out of business because of tougher EPA regulations---however there are some still around.---Mike--
Old 02-05-2011, 08:04 PM   #6

Stripping Service?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
Put your location into your profile----you need a shop but we don't know where---

There are strippers---many went out of business because of tougher EPA regulations---however there are some still around.---Mike--
Fixed...I think. In case it doesn't show up it's Madison, Wisconsin.

I was just working on a thread seeking advice about what to do about all my doors and trim that's in craptacular shape. This was just one idea.
Old 02-05-2011, 08:10 PM   #7

Stripping Service?

I never recommend dip-n-strip. This process often softens the glues holding the doors or furniture together, and seriously raises the grain on Oak among others.
hayewe farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 12:07 PM   #8
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Stripping Service?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayewe farm View Post
I never recommend dip-n-strip. This process often softens the glues holding the doors or furniture together, and seriously raises the grain on Oak among others.
I agree. I've seen doors come back from these places that had a serious hurtin' put on them by the process.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 12:54 PM   #9
Contractor - Renovations

Stripping Service?

they went to the strippers and came back with something?

hmmm...
Old 02-07-2011, 01:03 PM   #10

Stripping Service?

Thanks for the replies. So if I dont' end up doing this with the doors, what about metal? Most of the vent covers and housing are lousy with multiple layers of chipping paint. Might be nice to strip and refinish them. How would I go about finding such a place?
Old 02-07-2011, 01:33 PM   #11

Stripping Service?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ptron View Post
Thanks for the replies. So if I dont' end up doing this with the doors, what about metal? Most of the vent covers and housing are lousy with multiple layers of chipping paint. Might be nice to strip and refinish them. How would I go about finding such a place?
You could have those media blasted or chemically stripped.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 04:05 PM   #12
Contractor - Renovations

Stripping Service?

here is a snippet from some other people I trust who had talked about it last year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ..
Seriously. Look for a furniture refinishing place. They will have a tank that they dip them in. They will strip everything fairly cheap.

Another option if you are just worried about the details areas is media blasting. Someone had a post about blasting antique furniture.

My uncle used to do furniture refinishing for a living.

By hand... try a heat gun, scrapers, dental pics etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ...
... is right about sending them out, but dont let them dip it. It soaks up too much chemical. The place I go to hangs it over the tank and sprays the stuff on.
It will save an incredible amount of time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ...
In an older door sometimes dipping softens the hide glue holding the door together. I guess it depends on the guy actually doing the work, they know when to take it out of the tank.

There used to be a place where I went to that used vapors above the tank to strip the doors, that worked really well.

I don't think what they can do can be matched by doing it ourselves.

Last edited by fungku; 02-07-2011 at 04:07 PM.
Old 02-07-2011, 11:55 PM   #13

Stripping Service?

I've sent a LOT of stuff to my local dip stripper in Wilmington, DE. I know, it's way too far for you, but they are called "R & R Dipping" on the 200 Block of Scott Street. There's "Right stuff" and "Wrong stuff" to have dip stripped. These guys will do antique furniture and refinish it if you've got the cash, but I've only sent them:
- Doors (yes, many have come back without the glue, especially the ones with thick paint that sat in the vat for way too long.)
- Whole house of Trim Casing - Somehow the long side of the corners got longer, and the short sides got shorter. So lots of it had to be re-cut or ended up with a "V" in the corners of the windows.
- Cast Metal ducting registers. There's no better solution than paying $15 per register. I clear coated them and it keeps them from rusting. They look grate! (pun intended).
- Door hinges and hardware: the brass coated stuff gets ruined. The solid brass is worth it.

Pretty much everything came back with little chips of paint that still needed to be scrapped out of the corners. If you are looking to remove a finish and stain the wood. I'd suggest it. I paid about $40 per door to have them dipped in bulk about 10+ years ago, but last time I dropped off an individual door it was $75-80. I think they changed their chemicals too. If I'm re-painting, these days I just sand and slap on a new coat. It's not worth it in my opinion if you are going to re-paint the stuff.

mknmike is offline   Reply With Quote