Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-17-2008, 05:03 AM   #1

Share |

Stripped Phillips Head

Does anybody know of a tool that can remove a stripped screw?

Lamurph5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 05:30 AM   #2
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Stripped Phillips Head

you could try whats called an easy out.

buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 05:47 AM   #3

Stripped Phillips Head

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00952154000P
jerryh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 08:00 AM   #4

Stripped Phillips Head

That web link is the ticket. For smaller screws like deck screws or wood screws, an easy-out is too large, but they're the only way to go for stuck broken bolts when you really have to break the bolt loose.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 08:13 AM   #5
the Musigician

Stripped Phillips Head

when it's easy to get to, i use a dremel tool with a cutting wheel to put a flathead slot on the screw and remove it that way.

DM
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 08:15 AM   #6

Stripped Phillips Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekctermite View Post
That web link is the ticket. For smaller screws like deck screws or wood screws, an easy-out is too large, but they're the only way to go for stuck broken bolts when you really have to break the bolt loose.
The easy outs are great for bolts, but like you said, they are usually too large for screws.
Old 10-17-2008, 03:37 PM   #7

Stripped Phillips Head

sorry guys, I would have to disagree with the above posts, that state they are to big for screws, I have the below set for over thirty years and have had great results with it.http://www.nationalwholesaletools.co...actor-Set.HTML
Old 10-17-2008, 04:07 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to nayslayer

Stripped Phillips Head

I second the dremmel a slot method
nayslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 04:24 PM   #9

Stripped Phillips Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by buletbob View Post
sorry guys, I would have to disagree with the above posts, that state they are to big for screws, I have the below set for over thirty years and have had great results with it.http://www.nationalwholesaletools.co...actor-Set.HTML
I guess they would work. I ones I have mostly seen have been for automotive use (larger sizes). And I have tried the dremel method too. Works most of the time.
Old 10-17-2008, 06:53 PM   #10

Stripped Phillips Head

I mostly used them for removing kitchen cabinet screws. the 1/8" is the most common. I like the sears set that was posted above,I haven't seen a set like that.
I just wanted to clarify that the easy-outs are not just for bolts! which they are not they are multi use. Good luck BOB
Old 10-17-2008, 09:39 PM   #11

Stripped Phillips Head

The challenge with using an easy out in a small screw is that you have to drill out the center of that screw, leaving not a lot of metal there to work with. Plus, I prefer to avoid the challenge of drilling a tiny hole in the middle of a tiny screw! It does work though. The other type of screw remover is much quicker and easier.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 10:14 PM   #12

Stripped Phillips Head

If the screw isn't all the way in and the head is exposed, then needlenose vice grips can work wonders. Done that several times.

While I've never used an easy out on a wood screw before, I've used them on machine screws which were smaller than most wood screws. Be very careful though. They are brittle and and if you drill out the screw and break the easy out off in it, your kind of stuck since its hardened steel, and you can't really drill it out again. Done that several times too, and it makes for a bad day.
LanterDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 11:12 PM   #13

Stripped Phillips Head

Do those Sears tools work on square drive screws?
fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 02:23 AM   #14

Stripped Phillips Head

Re: Stripped Phillips head screw: Can you grip the head of that screw hard enough with a pair of side cutters to leave a lasting impression and twist the side cutters to remove the screw?

Fireguy: Square drive (Robertson) screws rarely strip, and when they do, you can normally get them out by putting a smaller flat screw driver into the screw head DIAGONALLY and turning the screw out that way.

Here in Canada, Robertson is certainly the most popular drive for screws. If you go to any place that sells fasteners, they will give you Robertson drive screws unless you specify a different drive when ordering screws. Whenever I buy something that comes with installation hardware, the screws supplied are Phillips head because the manufacturer is primarily thinking of the US market, and Robertson screws aren't common in the US, so people might not have Robertson screw drivers down there.

Hell, I just chuck those stupid Phillips screws and use my own Robertson screws instead. I have a small parts cabinet with Robertson sheet metal screws from #6 to #10 in size and in lengths from 3/4 to 1 1/2 inches. Each drawer in that cabinet has a small plastic divider in it with flat head on one side and round head on the other. That entire cabinet contains nothing but Robertson screws to replace the Phillips screws that come with the stuff we get up here in Canada that's primarily designed to be sold in the US, like sliding door hardware and door thresholds and stuff like that.

You Americans should see the light and switch to Robertson drive screws. You can twist hard on them without the screw driver crawling out of the screw head, and they rarely strip. Except for Torx, they're about the best drive you can get for a screw. Why stick with Phillips (or worse, slot drive) if there's a better alternative?

Last edited by Nestor_Kelebay; 10-18-2008 at 02:27 AM.
Nestor_Kelebay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 05:36 AM   #15

Stripped Phillips Head

I have to agree, I also like the square drive over the phillips. I can not re-call if I ever did strip a square drive screw head.