Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-06-2008, 08:07 AM   #1
Floating in the Gulf

Share |

Stripped out door hinge screws

Ok, laugh... but I know there is a fairly simple solution to this, even if I can't think of what it is...

The holes the screws go in to hold an upper door hinge are totally stripped out. Old door, old hardware, old wood frame around the door, all of which i would like to keep...

So I think to myself, this should be pretty simple, I'll just get some longer, slightly bigger screws, no big deal....

So I finally get around to addressing this item on my list... and pull out a screw that I swear to God was six inches long. Foiled by a previous owner of the house! Furthermore, no "wider" screw is going to fit through the hole in the hinge.

Hmmm...

Well...

I can think of a couple possibilities... I could either drill out the hole in that hinge to accomodate a bigger screw....

Or even better, I seem to remember watching my Grandaddy (who was a cabinet maker) as a kid use some kind of wood putty to fix this problem on a door...

For the record, it's been about 25 years, and that door is still fine...

I'm just not sure how he did it.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

krankykitty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to krankykitty For This Useful Post:
lena0999 (07-19-2011)
Old 07-06-2008, 08:22 AM   #2
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

More then likely he did this . take some wood glue and some saw dust from your belt sander and mix it up then push it into the old screw holes.

What I do is take some tooth picks and glue them into the hole then trim them flush; another poster a ways back suggested using golf tee's which I thought was a good fix. good luck BOB

buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 09:16 AM   #3

Bob has some good suggestions. I think both he and KC and a few others, have also suggested glueing in wooden dowels in previous threads on this subject,which is the traditional method.
Handyman Jim Noonan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 09:24 AM   #4
Don't know it all, yet!

The old toothpick almost always works for me. One is usually handy, don't have to wait on glue to dry (but if time is not a problem I really DO prefer the glue methods. Glue and sawdust is good if you have glue and sawdust available.). Sometimes I have used a plastic drywall anchor. I usually keep an assortment of sizes for different things I may run into. But, if I have the time, I prefer the glue and (sawdust, dowel, golf tee).

Just my 1.5 cents worth.
Old 07-06-2008, 01:09 PM   #5
remodeling pro

Golf tees are a good repair, but it sounds like the size of your holes may be beyond the typical. I would drill them out and glue in wood dowels, then go back with the proper size screw for the hinge.
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troubleseeker For This Useful Post:
Willie T (01-16-2012)
Old 07-06-2008, 01:25 PM   #6

Wood dowels work pretty well, and I like the golf tee idea. Drill out the holes to correspond to the diameter of the golf tee or wood dowel. Use plenty of wood glue and drive it home. Once it is dry, cut it flush and trim with a utility knife or chisel. Use a small drill bit to drill a tiny pilot hole, using care to center it where the screw needs to go. I suggest the tiny bit because it is easier to control. You can drill it out bigger after the hole is located.

Don't get too eager and forget to let the glue set overnight!
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Termite For This Useful Post:
Willie T (04-18-2010)
Old 07-06-2008, 08:25 PM   #7
Floating in the Gulf

Ya know, now that i think hard about it, sawdust probably was involved. I seem to remember him shoving the goo into the hole with a wire (maybe part of a wire coathanger??) The last time I used the toothpick trick (different house) I must not have stuck enough of them in there, as it was a short term solution. I don't golf, so the dowel sounds like a great idea to me, and now that i think about it, I have done that on other projects and had it work great.

<sigh> Why is it always the simple things that stump me the quickest??

In any case, thanks for all the helpful suggestions :D I knew I could count on you guys!
krankykitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 06:25 PM   #8

Fritan Technology has a product called Fringe Screw that can be used as an alternative repair for loose or stripped door hinge screws. It features a standard size #9 head and oversize threads. This allows the screw to sit flush in the door hinge but also embed in the enlarged screw hole, resulting in a tight, sturdy door. This screw will fix your door in less than 5 minutes without removing the door.
AOVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 08:43 PM   #9

I'll second (or third or fourth) the golf tee/dowel with glue. I then use a vix bit with the hinge as a template...it will assure a straight drive for your hinge screws and the vix bit "seats" in the hinge holes.

I've used this method many times, works great.

http://www.amazon.com/64-Vix-Bit-Scr...1468479&sr=1-2

J
Jay123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 08:45 PM   #10

You may be able to get a vix bit at HD or lowe's, I believe I've picked them up there over the years in addition to woodcraft or online.

J
Jay123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 10:19 PM   #11

The golf tee sounds good to me, but not being a golfer, I don't have these handy.
I usually rip a piece of scrap and make a spline. Then I whittle something akin to a golf tee on the end!
Then I dip it into white glue and hammer it in the hole! Cut it level with the surface and then drill a new hole for the screw!
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 02:15 PM   #12
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

You can buy 'glued dowels' that activate with water. They are short, stout, and can be cut off easily when they dry. Just wet them, tap them into properly sized drilled out holes, let dry, and cut off. Then re-hang your door like it was a new install.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Willie T For This Useful Post:
mae-ling (01-16-2012)
Old 04-23-2010, 09:08 AM   #13

Usually toothpicks and glue take care of 99% of these problems, but if it's as bad as you say (6" screws?!!!) then I have a suggestion: remove one side of the casing, see how much space there is between the frame and the stud, and insert a 1x4, 5/8", 1/2" plywood strip, whatever fits, in there and screw thru the frame and into the stud above and below the hinge. Then put a regular 3/4" hinge scew into the hinge. If the space is REALLY tight, you might have to resort to a piece of steel and drill for the screws.
mrgins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 11:04 AM   #14

There are inserts with a coarse thread on the outside and machine screw threads on the inside. The OD is about 1/4" or larger and it has slots so you first screw it in with a slotted screwdriver. The larger OD spreads the force trying to pull them out.
Maybe Jandorff makes them. It's like a helicoil but it is a solid piece.
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/4ZU75?Pid=search

Or you could remove the casing and put a bolt/nut/fender washer with Loktite to hold it.

Last edited by Yoyizit; 04-23-2010 at 11:15 AM.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 11:52 PM   #15

I haven't tried it yet but I intend to use some good glue and matches (with the heads cut off, obviously). I'm thinking either a couple of the soft ones from a match book or a wooden match (ala the tooth pick idea).

Get a good amount of glue in the hole, swab it around with the match(es) and let them sit overnight. Take a razor blade and cut to flush, the next day. I'm thinking the soft flat ones from a match book are the way to go.

Beavers_hockey is offline   Reply With Quote