Storm Door Queston - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-15-2010, 08:55 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Storm Door Queston

I have installed probably 15 or so storm doors. I have always had a tough time getting the closer to pull the door closed when the exterior door is also closed. I think it's got something to do with the air resisting it more than my inability. I have adjusted the closer by turning the screw, adjusted the bottom piece, etc. The only thing I have found that helps is to open the glass, so that ir can get pushed thru the screen. Any other tricks someone can share?

thanks

Advertisement

brokenhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 09:29 AM   #2
DIY Hack

Rewards Points: 500

Storm Door Queston

STRANGE.... Most closer brackets have two mounting holes. One for use with the screen, the other for use with the glass in. Are you paying attention to this when you do your install, perhaps this is your problem

Advertisement

Old 08-15-2010, 11:42 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

Storm Door Queston

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenhammer View Post
I have installed probably 15 or so storm doors. I have always had a tough time getting the closer to pull the door closed when the exterior door is also closed. I think it's got something to do with the air resisting it more than my inability. I have adjusted the closer by turning the screw, adjusted the bottom piece, etc. The only thing I have found that helps is to open the glass, so that ir can get pushed thru the screen. Any other tricks someone can share?

thanks
If the door was installed correctly, this is exactly what happens. The "air pillow" is contained between the 2 doors and has no place to go when the main door is closed.
Your solution is one way to get the door to close. The other is to close it manually if it stays ajar.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote