DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Steel brackets on wall studs

12K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  RegeSullivan 
#1 ·
I am replacing one of the 2x4 studs in my garage wall, and I wondered if it were code to use those galvanized steel brackets & screws instead of toe nailing?

The brackets should be easier since they can be attached to the stud before it is put in place. Another stud is close by which makes nailing harder.

#2 ·
No, code makes no provision for anything but nailing the studs in place, either by toenailing or face nailing through the plates (not an option for you). Screws, brackets or any other means of mechanical attachment isn't prescribed by code...Therefore, generally speaking not allowed.

Will it make a difference? Probably not. It is one stud. You only have to toenail from one side, not both. Even if there's another stud in the way on one side, is the other side open enough to allow nailing? You can cut a spacer block to put between the new stud and the close stud to keep it from moving when you nail it in if you need to.

#3 ·
It sounds like the code has fallen behind the technology. I think there must be an alternative to nailing which is just as strong.

I am moving the stud to replace a breaker panel so I expect it will be inspected. Even if I can't use the brackets I'd much rather use screws instead of nails to make it easier to remove if needed. I suppose that isn't code either?

How many nails and what gauge are needed for studs?
Is pre-drilling allowed?

#5 ·
After a bit more reading I think the argument goes that the screw is stronger than the nail in a straight pull-out test, but in a bending, shear or shock test the nail will bend quite a bit more before failing, where the screw is not as malleable and will snap.

Nails it is.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.