Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-30-2005, 08:35 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75
Question

Standard Door Size?

hi,
i need to replace a hollow core dedroom door. it measures 79 15/16"X29 3/4" is this a stanard size door? it doesnt look like its been cut to fit. another question. if this is a standard size door, would the hole for the door knob be per-drilled? i kind of doubt it, but i know nothing about this stuff! if not, should i measure from the center of the strike plate on the jam to the floor and then use that measument on the door to find the center for the lock&knob assembly, and drill my hole there?

thank you,
bob

Last edited by bobo; 12-30-2005 at 08:54 AM.
bobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 09:54 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 538

Standard Door Size?

80x30 is a standard door size. It sounds like a pre-hung door, but if it's not and if the knob isn't pre-drilled the safest way to make sure it will align is to work backwards. Mark the edge of the door where the strike plate is drill the 3/4 or 7/8" hole (per instructions) then center the bigger hole based on this hole location. It will take some time and some accurate measurements and layout, but it's not terribly difficult.

jproffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 03:32 PM   #3
2nd half

Rewards Points: 25

Standard Door Size?

BOBO,
The first thing I would do is mortise in the door butts (hinges), hang the door, then close it and mark the center of the hole of the striker (jamb) onto the door and use templet which comes with lock to mark out holes for door. And ya gotta stop punching the doors.
jmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 04:55 AM   #4

Exclamation

Standard Door Size?

hi,
thanks for the suggestions! im going to purchase a standard door, with a door kit. i was thinking, i know thats not good. when i remove the hardware from the old door (using it on new door), couuldnt i just lay the old door on top the new door, and use it as a template by marking the hole for the lock hardware and hinges and strike plate on the new door with a pencil? if anything, it should put me very close to in the ballpark.

bob
Old 12-31-2005, 06:34 AM   #5
Remodeler

Rewards Points: 250

Standard Door Size?

bob,
Using the old door as a template to lay out the lock set is not a good idea. There are too many variables for this to work. Hang the door like mentioned and when closed you will be able to get a better measurement.
One Man Shops
MinConst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 07:58 AM   #6
registered

Rewards Points: 524

Standard Door Size?

Hanging a door can be trickie. Luckly its interior and not entry. I should say making those cuts for the hardware.
747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 12:52 AM   #7

Talking

Standard Door Size?

thanks for all the help ppl! door is hung and even works! now gotta replace a few more, the bottoms are becomming frayed!...bob