DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

stairs to the beach

13K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Ron6519 
#1 ·
I have searched the internet for help with this problem , but have not been able to find any information at all.I hope someone out there can help.
I have a seaside cottage with 15 foot high bank down to the beach. I would like to build a set of steps down to the beach. Because it is on the ocean I will need to remove them in the winter.
With such a high rise I can't use stock lumber for my stringers. My stringer will need to be about 24 ft. I have been thinking about laminating plywood but I don't know how well this will hold up.
I need to either build a set of stairs light eough to take them up in the fall and put them back down in the spring, or find some way to raise and lower them using some kind of winch or pulley system.
If anyone has any suggestions they would be greatly appreciated.
MisterC

#5 ·
Usually you aren't allowed to dig footers on the beach, even if you own the property. Make 2 pieces of stringers, each 12' long
Then bolt a 16' reinforcement & a 8" reinforcement on each side
Some friends of mine live near a beach & the neighborhood builds stairs. The top end has wheels, stairs are lifted & wheeled back from the ocean. Takes a few people to do this. Another option is electric winch to pull them up

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.