Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-14-2010, 01:31 PM   #1

Share |

stair railings help

we have been building a house and have got to the stair case now and need some pointers on how to do the railings. i have 3 steps and then a landing and then make a right turn up 5 steps that is open and then 4 more steps up to the 2nd floor that has a wall next to it. i am just gonna go up to the wall with the ballusters and keep going all the way with the handrail. i need to know the best way to fasten the newels to the floor and how to fasten the handrail the newel. the ballusters that i am using is white wood, square on bottom with a dowel and round on the top to go into the handrail how deep do i need to drill the handrail for the ballusters to go into. also how tall should the handrail be from my treads? and from what i can figure on the ballusters i will have to use a long short long short.... i think i will have to start out with a 34 inch one and then a 39 inch then next step 34 and 39. i will have 2 one each step

wlf89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 02:26 PM   #2
Stairguy

stair railings help

the best and strongest way to attach the newels is to notch them into the face of the risers that way you can screw them into the riser and they will sit part on the tread.The rails are attached with rail bolts for level fittings, unless you are using over the top rail parts. for rake rails going post to post you can get by with drywall screws and then plug holes with wood plugs.
Your layout on balusters is good. Use a 34" in the front and a 39" in the back. But you should use a 34" rake rail height.You can install all your rails 1st. Then to layout your balusters you usually locate the front baluster so iits face is even with face of riser below. The back baluster is exactly 1/2 your run. so if you have a 10" run, then your 2nd hole is exactly 5" on center from the center of your 1st hole. Layout all your holes then use a 4' level to plumb up your marks on the side of the rail. You can drill the holes in the bottom of the rail while the rail is in place.Try to hold drill as plumb as possible. Use 5/8" speedbore. Go as deep as possible by using a piece of tape on your drill bit as a depth gauge. Cut balusters about 1/2" longer than you need. Place top of baluster in hole and push it all the way up so you can kick then bottom in over the dowel, then place into 3/4" hole in the tread.Use glue only on the bottom hole and pin top with brad nailer.

Millertyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 02:46 PM   #3

stair railings help

how about using pocket hole screws on the newels a couple goin down into the floor and a couple into the stringers i think that would hold real good.
wlf89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 05:56 PM   #4
Stairguy

stair railings help

I wouldn't use pocket holes. The steep angle makes them really hard to make plugs for and you will never get them to match. Unless you are painting the newel. I just use a countersunk 3/8" hole and plug with 3/8" plugs.
Millertyme is offline   Reply With Quote