Stair Handrail Offset - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-15-2014, 02:57 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Stair handrail offset

I need to place a handrail on my basement staircase. On one side, the wall goes about half-way down before it ends and opens up to the room, so a handrail mounted here would end half-way down the stairs. The other side is solid from top to bottom of the staircase, but at the floor level of the upstairs, the upper portion of the wall is 2 3/4" inset from the lower portion of the wall, leaving a small shelf at the upper floor level. To mount a handrail, I'd need a 2 3/4" "S" bend at that point. The smallest offsets I've found are 5".

I'm pretty sure I need a continuous rail rather than two. I've been noodling on this for quite some time to no avail Any ideas?

Advertisement

jirwin01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 06:42 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 632

Stair handrail offset

If using wood, On the shelf side, mount rail as normal for top half BUT cut a 45 in it with cut face out towards the room. Mount bottom half also with a 45 cut so that it faces the 45 of the upper. Then it is but a simple piece cut to fit between. When everything dry fits fine, pull the top rail off, use pl adhesive to mount the connecting piece followed by a finish head screw. Put that rail back. Then glue and screw the bottom to the connector.

Ron

Advertisement

ront02769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 08:10 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Stair handrail offset

Well, DUH to me! Thanks, ront02769 for the common sense solution. I guess I've been overthinking the problem.
jirwin01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 08:22 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 632

Stair handrail offset

Never hurts to think things out. Another alternative would be to build the area around where the rail attaches at the top OUT and just run straight down. Ron
ront02769 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
banister , handrail , offset , stair