Stair Fitting - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-17-2012, 05:27 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

stair fitting

i am having a go at replacing horrible planks of wood on stairs with spindles.i have all the parts i need ie base rail and hand rail.i have worked out the stairs angle is roughly 42 degrees.i can cut the hand and base rail to the above angle using my electric mitre saw but how do i cut the fillets to 42 degrees as my big saw has no clamp.i purchased a hand precision saw but it only went down to 45 degrees.never done this before and i want to do it correctly. thanks

Advertisement

komori73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:56 PM   #2
Stairguy

Rewards Points: 500

stair fitting

I'm not sure what you are trying to do. Your rail pitch cut and your fillet pieces should be the same angle just cut them on you chop box. You should be able to cut your balusters on there too.

Advertisement

Millertyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 07:49 PM   #3
Haverhill Trade 1965

stair fitting

When you say fillets are you talking about balusters, (or spindles) that are tapered? If so I usually drill the rail. Most usually need a 5/8" bit. I use a 2 X 2" block about 10" long and use my drill press to drill a 5/8" pilot hole at the angle of the cuts (your 42 degrees), making a center line mark on each side. Clamp it on the bottom of the rail in the center and use it for a guide for the bit in a hand drill. Drill about 1" deep, ( it doesn't have to be exact, balusters only have to go in about 3/4"),You have to feed each baluster in starting at the bottom is best. Then you can rotate them to line up the bottoms and one 4d nail through each baluster into the rail to pin it.
Duckweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 07:27 PM   #4

stair fitting

For the OP, fillets are the short pieces that go into a plowed rail between the ballusters. They're about 1/4"x1 1/2"x the spacing between ballusters. Is that what you mean?
mrgins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:54 PM   #5
Haverhill Trade 1965

stair fitting

Millertyme has the right answer then. Place the stock in the saw 1-1/2" side toward the back fence, 1/4" edge down on the bed and cut at the 42 degrees. I seldom use that system, so now I am assuming square top balusters. Also a big C clamp and block of wood clamped to the back fence should make a stop so identical repetitive cuts can be made.
Duckweather is offline   Reply With Quote