Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-12-2010, 01:26 AM   #1
DIYer

Share |

Stair building - Traditional stringers or EZ Stairs?

Hi again

I have a 40" wide 4 stair interior staircase that was built terribly and has suffered water damage from a roof leak; it needs to be rebuilt from the ground up.
I've never built stairs before but I've done my homework and have a good idea about the process. I found EZ Stairs online though and I'm impressed with how much it simplifies the process but unsure whether it's actually worth it. Any words on them?

Another question: The proper way to construct the stairs is to first install wallboard, then skirt board on top of that, yes?
This diagram recommends a 2x12 skirt board but a 1.5" protruding trim piece like that seems too wide and might be awkward looking

Is 2x material the sticking out from the wall the norm? Ripping a 2x12 in half would be a more suitable width for trim I'd think

Thanks in advance for your advice

dwoloz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 05:50 AM   #2
DIY staff

Are these fancy stairs with oak treads and risers?
Builders stairs with 2x treads?

I've always cut my own stringers---Learned with 'The Little Blue Book"--Comes with the new framing square--A pair of stair gauges (Small brass clamp for the square) finishes up the tools--

Use the search feature--WillieT has posted fine pictures and explanations--Mike---

The drawing you posted is for a set of open deck stairs-----

oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to oh'mike For This Useful Post:
BigJim (08-12-2010), Willie T (08-12-2010)
Old 08-12-2010, 08:49 AM   #3
STAFF

I agree with Mike, that is for an outside open deck. When I built stairs we nailed a 2X4 against the studs flush with the bottom of the stringer, sheet rock and 1X12 over sheet rock like you said.

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 12:50 PM   #4
DIYer

Thanks for the replies!

Duh, I should have saw that the diagram was a deck staircase; makes sense. OK, so I'll use 1x12 for the skirt board

I think I found Willie T's post here Need to build stairs--Is there a Stair Kit? Quite informative!
I haven't decided on finish floor material yet but I'm leaning towards bamboo. I've seen premanufactured bamboo treads and risers for sale so I'd likely purchase those.
Old 08-12-2010, 01:03 PM   #5
DIY staff

Figuring out how to cut the risers is not to bad if you have "the little Blue Book"" or one like it--

You must know the thickness of the upstairs flooring if that is being added later--Mike--
oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 02:47 PM   #6
STAFF

Like Mike said you need to know the thickness of the flooring upstairs and down stairs as you need to figure from the thickness to thickness of the finished floor to cut your stringers. You also need to cut the thickness of your tread material off the bottom of your stringers where they rest on the floor.

Example, your rise is 7 1/4 inch and your tread is 1 inch thick, if you don't cut 1 inch off the stringer where it rest on the floor your first step will be 8 1/4 instead of 7 1/4 inches. You will need to add the thickness of the flooring downstairs back to the stringer where it rest on the floor or your first step will be too short after the flooring is installed. I hope I explained this right, I am not good at explaining.

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 06:45 AM   #7

I am a deck builder as well as GC and the EZ stair system is the only way we build stairs. I have over 150 decks in the field using these brackets and they are the greatest! I was a little skeptical when I first tried them, but now I don't do it any other way. if you follow the directions and use the right materials you will end up with a stairway that you can park a truck on, with no squeaks and no worries. If you are not an upper level carpenter that has experience cutting stairs they are the way to go. You will have 4 stringer cuts with EZ versus 100 with traditional, lots of chances to mark/cut it wrong. One replacement 2x12 because of a miscut will probably make up the difference for the EZ materials...
dckbldr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 02:03 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoloz View Post
Hi again

I have a 40" wide 4 stair interior staircase that was built terribly and has suffered water damage from a roof leak; it needs to be rebuilt from the ground up.
I've never built stairs before but I've done my homework and have a good idea about the process. I found EZ Stairs online though and I'm impressed with how much it simplifies the process but unsure whether it's actually worth it. Any words on them?

Another question: The proper way to construct the stairs is to first install wallboard, then skirt board on top of that, yes?
This diagram recommends a 2x12 skirt board but a 1.5" protruding trim piece like that seems too wide and might be awkward looking

Is 2x material the sticking out from the wall the norm? Ripping a 2x12 in half would be a more suitable width for trim I'd think

Thanks in advance for your advice
Version:1.0 StartHTML:0000000105 EndHTML:0000002323 StartFragment:0000001429 EndFragment:0000002287
Although I build a lot of decks and deck stairs, I also do interior stairs and my preferred building method is with adjustable brackets or EZ Stairs. The irony of using EZ Stairs is that you might be inclined to think that because it’s a stair system kit instead a traditional craftsman method, that it’s not as good. I found the opposite to be true- this stair system is actually superior. I'm very concerned about craftsmanship too . When you notch the steps out of a 2”x12”, you are putting the whole weight of the stair system and anything on it, on the 4”-5” of material left in the 2”x12”. With the adjustable stair brackets, you’re putting the weight on 11” of solid wood. The riser acts as a load bearing joist. You end up with a super sturdy stair that happens to be easy to install. No brainer.
Deckman100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 04:48 PM   #9
DIYer

Thanks for the advice, EZ Stairs it is!
Old 08-24-2010, 06:11 AM   #10

the skirt board is not necassary it is only for looks. when used it gives it a facimile of a routed stringer. but a notched stringer is way to go instead of brackets don' let it scare you use everyone's advice take your time and you will be proud of your results
william4stairs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 08:27 AM   #11
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

Whenever possible, I feel the best way to build a set of wooden stairs is with routed stringers.

Below is an example. This set is for kids, so it is more of a ladder (too steep) than stairs, and it still needs the railing in these pictures. But if you "Zoom" up the view, you can see the way the nose of the treads sticks past the stringer a little. Kind of a nice look, I think.
Attached Thumbnails
Stair building - Traditional stringers or EZ Stairs?-img_0086.jpg   Stair building - Traditional stringers or EZ Stairs?-img_0087.jpg   Stair building - Traditional stringers or EZ Stairs?-img_0100.jpg   Stair building - Traditional stringers or EZ Stairs?-img_0098.jpg  
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 08:50 AM   #12

those stingers appear to be routed or notched. best way to rout a interior stringer is w/rockwell 521 stair template. I have 1 do u old school
william4stairs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 09:26 AM   #13
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by william4stairs View Post
those stingers appear to be routed or notched. best way to rout a interior stringer is w/rockwell 521 stair template. I have 1 do u old school
Got one gathering dust somewhere. But I did the set pictured freehand.

Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote