Staining And Sanding Included In Fixed Bid? - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

Old 09-11-2015, 02:17 PM   #1
Rewards Points: 32

Staining and sanding included in fixed bid?

This is my first real home remodel/work I've done, and I'm learning the hard way (see post on caisson/piles) GC, who was a friend I played cards with, is either dishonest, incompetent or disorganized and I really can't tell which. He is also telling me that he isn't making any money on my project, but I'm having a really hard time believing him!

Our paperwork and communications is very casual...probably too casual...often just an oral agreement.

In any case, we are redoing a deck and staircase. I've bought the materials, and the GC put in a flat bid for the entire project ($5900...I'm in Los Angeles). I said I'd pay 50% upfront, 50% at completion.

They are now sanding and staining/sealing the question is this: is that included in the price? My feeling is yes, but I'm sure he'll say no.

Thanks...nothing like initiation by fire!

bleecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 03:48 PM   #2
Rewards Points: 4,966

Staining and sanding included in fixed bid?

When you hire people, you get what they are going to do in writing. It's a contract you both understand and agree upon.
Nothing is "understood" without it.
You stain a deck, don't really, "seal" it. And you don't do either on high moisture wood.

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
B. Franklin 1759
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote