Stain Colors - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-17-2012, 04:04 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 37

Stain Colors

I am building a coffee table for our living room. i'm modeling it after this piece from restoration hardware:

my dad is welding up the frame out of 1" steel square tubing. i would love to blacken the steel with the heat and oil treatment but i think that would be hard to do at home in a garage with a piece this big. im going to paint it black with some semi gloss then sand it and scratch it up to expose the steel. then do a quick rust treatment on it, and then finish it off with a matte clear coat.

for the wood top i am cutting up my old picnic table that has been sitting outside in my parents backyard for 30 years. it has a great grey color to it. i think its either redwood or red cedar.
so two questions:

1. whats a good clear coat to use on the steel? i was going to use rustoleum matte clear coat spray.

2. i would like to either achieve a color/finish like this:
or keep the natural grey and just put some poly on it. is the wood in the picture stained or do you think that its natural color? i was thinking of using a water based satin poly. any suggestions on a finish to keep the natural wood color and feel?

Thanks!

Advertisement

joshik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 06:20 PM   #2

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,142

Stain Colors

Save the scraps from cutting up the old picnic table and use them as small samples for a combination of stains and sealers. You never know exactly what the result will be based on smaller samples because of variations in grain and texture.

Dick

Advertisement

concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote