Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-02-2013, 05:15 AM   #1

Share |
Question

Squaring a Jamb, First Time

This is my first time trying to convert a drywall wrapped doorway into a wood cased doorway. I removed the bead and drywall. The rough opening is 4' wide. I presently have the jamb boards cut for a close fit and I have a pack of shims. Now what?! haha

The boards are 11/16" x 4-9/16". They flex a bit, so how should I go about getting everything level, square, and plumb?

(The photo doesn't convey how thick the mud is around most of the doorway. I hope I can get the casing to lay fairly flat.)
Attached Thumbnails
Squaring a Jamb, First Time-diningroom_doorway_jamb_loose.jpg  

Hiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 05:59 AM   #2

If it's important to you that the inside corners are 100% square I would first lay a level in the opening on the floor to make sure it's level. If not just measure how far off it is and shorten the trim on the high side by that amount.
Going to need a long level and a framing square.
Just tack up one of the sides and check it for plumb, flatness and use the framing square with the long leg along the wall to make sure it's not twisted. Shim it and finish nailing it.
I'd shim the top piece in the inside corner to keep the two pieces tight then work on the top piece using the framing square in the corner.
Before working on the last piece I'd once again shim the inside corner tight so as your working a gap does not open up.
It's important to keep the trim even with the drywall, I would not worry if it's a little out of plumb. If the walls off so be it.

oh'mike (09-02-2013)
Old 09-02-2013, 03:37 PM   #3

BTW, the floor is carpeted. Is it possible to check a carpeted floor for level?

What if...I was thinking of pre-assembling the jamb to make sure it's square.

Right now what I have is a 12" combination square and a 9" level. (Perfect for a doll house?)

I'm considering a 4' level, which would only fit on the sides of this doorway. Would a 2' level be more useful, or should I have both?

I'm really starting to wonder what the cost would be to have a pro come in and install the jambs. (One or two doorways and two 8' wall ends which will become pilasters.)
Old 09-02-2013, 05:17 PM   #4

Never going to learn anything by hiring someone. It's a really simple job give it a shot.
The longer the level the easier it is to see if the jamb is flat.
It's easy to end up with waves in it. It really only needs to be nailed at the top middle and bottom. The casing will hold it in place between the shims.
Old 09-02-2013, 06:12 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Never going to learn anything by hiring someone. It's a really simple job give it a shot.
That helps. Really. And there's always caulk. heh

Right now I'm scraping off the mud ridge because it's high enough to interfere with the square.
Old 09-04-2013, 03:19 AM   #6

Question

Should I bother to do a full jamb and casing on this 31" doorway? It would require either routing out the back of part of the casing and/or trimming around the edge of the counter top.
Attached Thumbnails
Squaring a Jamb, First Time-room_for_casing_3.jpg  

Last edited by Hiro; 09-04-2013 at 03:21 AM.