Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-01-2011, 07:08 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

splitting slabs

i constructed a chest on chest dresser for my son a year ago....the side panel (20 inch wide slabbed oak panel) split just the other day... i used minwax stain sealer on this slab ....but may not have gotten enough on the inside of the unit...could this be the cause of the splitting....the dresser was sitting next to a window at the time of the fractrure...would appreciate some input......thankx

rfrf49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 03:43 AM   #2

splitting slabs

Several considerations on splitting wood....had a guy who custom built an entire kitchen's cabinets, brought them 800 miles and installed them...they fit perfectly. BUT, the wood was not aged completely and thus, the from the heat being on in the winter- cracked and warped all to heck in about 3 yrs time......they dried out rapidly with the forced air heat and that was that.

Dunno if that applies here, but furniture grade wood should be cured a minimum of 2 years.

starkenwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 06:32 AM   #3

splitting slabs

The wood i used was kiln dried rough cut lumber...sat in my rack for about eight months after that befored use....could be the answer to this problem! Thanks..
rfrf49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 07:55 AM   #4
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,366

splitting slabs

Wood expands and contracts with the seasons---Wide solid wood panels need to be able to slide as the size changes---the back edge of the dresser side panel should have been attached with screws driven into oval holes---

Wide cabinet sides and backs are seldom made of solid wood --typically a stile,rail and panel system is used to avoid the issues of expansion and contraction.--Mike--
oh'mike is online now   Reply With Quote