Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-14-2011, 01:44 PM   #1

Share |

Splice 6X6 Post?

Last month, I cemented in two 10-foot 6x6 posts to use as supports for a small pergola over my garden bench. Due to family issues, I was not able to get back to the project until this last weekend. To my dismay, one post was bent forward at the top, but was still square. The other post was not bent, but was twisted at the top about 15 degrees. Pulling out the two posts is one idea. Another is cutting the posts towards the middle and splicing new pieces for the top. Any ideas on the best way to splice them? Or would digging them up and putting in new posts be better? The posts are 7 feet apart and will support four 6' 2x10s that will support four 10' 2x6s that span the two posts. We live in coastal Virginia.
Mic13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 02:51 PM   #2
Mod

Splice 6X6 Post?

Welcome to the forum Mic13.

Don’t splice the post just replace them. Treated yellow pine is notorious for twisting and warping.

Don’t replace the post until you’re ready to put the whole thing together. It’s important to get that type of lumber nailed up/bolted up as soon as possible.
Old 08-14-2011, 03:08 PM   #3

Splice 6X6 Post?

Better to set the wood on standoff brackets set on the footing then to bury them in concrete.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 07:38 PM   #4

Splice 6X6 Post?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
Better to set the wood on standoff brackets set on the footing then to bury them in concrete.
This could work. Do you have any recommendations for brackets that would work for non-top-supported structures?
Old 08-14-2011, 07:43 PM   #5

Splice 6X6 Post?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikfishron View Post
Welcome to the forum Mic13.

Donít splice the post just replace them. Treated yellow pine is notorious for twisting and warping.

Donít replace the post until youíre ready to put the whole thing together. Itís important to get that type of lumber nailed up/bolted up as soon as possible.
Thanks for your suggestion! The original plan was to complete the project after the posts were set, but it didn't work out that way, unfortunately. If it weren't for the twisted post, I would be able to move on and chalk it up to "personality," but the twisted post was a deal breaker. I will explore the option of using a bracket in the existing concrete footer, but if that doesn't seem to be strong enough, I'll replace them. I guess I will get to test my four-wheel drive!!
Old 08-14-2011, 08:09 PM   #6

Splice 6X6 Post?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mic13 View Post
This could work. Do you have any recommendations for brackets that would work for non-top-supported structures?
Check out the Simpson website.
Old 08-14-2011, 08:31 PM   #7

Splice 6X6 Post?

Quote:
Check out the Simpson website.
Thanks again. I looked again, but found no such brackets. I emailed the company. Cheers!
Old 08-14-2011, 09:42 PM   #8

Splice 6X6 Post?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mic13 View Post
Thanks again. I looked again, but found no such brackets. I emailed the company. Cheers!
Here you go:
http://www.strongtie.com/products/co...BA-ABE-ABU.asp
Old 08-14-2011, 09:50 PM   #9
Framing Contractor

Splice 6X6 Post?

Quote:
The problem he has now is that if he cuts the 6x6's out flush with the top of the footing he will still have the rest of the 6x6 left in the footing. That won't work with that post base or any other post base unless he can get the whole 6x6 out of the footing and fill it back up with concrete, something I've never seen before and would even think it would work.

Tags
pergola, posts, splice