Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-11-2010, 01:11 PM   #1
7 Board Feet of Snow

Share |
Talking

Space for hinges on custom closet doors

Hello,
My wife and I are in the process of remodeling our master bedroom, we have completely gutted the room, from refinishing the floors to putting custom built-ins in each side of the closets.

So we have everything done, the last thing to do is build some doors for the middle portion of the closet. I am building four doors, two for a top section that will fold back and slide into the closet pocket door style to allow view to a TV (about 16-17" x 24"). The other two will be about 60" tall and 16-17" wide (to cover some shoe shelves), and i am going to use inset hinges, all i need to know is how much space on each side of the doors I should leave for the hinges. Since they are inset and I will probably have to router out spots for them, I want to leave as little space as possible while still allowing them to fit comfortably.

This is turning out to be the most complex part of the whole remodel because of the hinges i am using and i know its going to be hard to get them exactly flush with each other (especially once i secure mirrors to the front of the doors).

I am using 1" x 3" wood to make frames for each door, and I will probably have to put an extra piece on the back of each door where the hinge will go if i am going to router out spots for the hinges.

Would 1/2" to 3/4" space on each side be enough for the hinges to comfortably fit the doors to the hinges?

Thanks!
Noah
nrk411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 06:17 PM   #2

What about using Soss invisible hinges - they require no extra space on the side of the door, and the 2 3/4" hinges would fit a 1" thick door no problem.

If your 17" wide door weighs 30-60 lbs, you'd need three 2 3/4" hinges (if your door is under 30 lbs you'd only need two).

Soss Invisible Hinges

Last edited by jules4; 07-11-2010 at 07:36 PM.
jules4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 07:20 PM   #3
7 Board Feet of Snow

the SOSS hinges would be nice, but i am afraid over time the doors will sag, the jam is made out of MDF, and so i need to drive whatever hinge i put in the jam with at least 2" - 2 1/2" screws so they reach the studs, I dont think that MDF is enough to hold the weight of the doors.

thank you
nrk411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 07:34 PM   #4

Assuming it's possible to cut a clean mortise in MDF, you could just swap the screws the hinges come with for longer ones.

Last edited by jules4; 07-11-2010 at 07:37 PM.
jules4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door design, door frames, door hinge installation, hinges, mirror